Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I*s the weather always like this?

Living in the UK I am used to crappy weather, but since beginning astronomy last year I have noticed that nearly every night has been cloudy. Has the weather always been like this in the UK? Does it get any better? Does living in england mean using a telescope for moon observing only?

:icon_scratch: Anyone shed any light?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice1 dude. I did manage to view jupiter but have yet to see saturn and not sure what i will see but intend to try.

Agree on your policy on light pollution, theres a huge street light right next to my scope placing. Grr.

Nice1 dude. I did manage to view jupiter but have yet to see saturn and not sure what i will see but intend to try.

Agree on your policy on light pollution, theres a huge street light right next to my scope placing. Grr.

If you are up early, say about 6am, you should be able to spot Saturn in the southern sky. As long as it is not too cloudy.

I only first saw it before Xmas, but now I can spot it easily.

If you are up early, say about 6am, you should be able to spot Saturn in the southern sky. As long as it is not too cloudy.

I only first saw it before Xmas, but now I can spot it easily.

Cheers starman. I hadnt really known how to spot it as it isnt bright like venus/jupiter and its position is different. But i will wait up now to see if i can use stellarium to get ti in sight.

Does living in england mean using a telescope for moon observing only?

The weather isn't always like this - just most of the time.

The great astronomer William Herschel (who lived in England) reckoned one night in three was good for some sort of observing, though when he took Moon and sky transparency into account, he could only manage about 100 hours of optimum deep-sky observing per year. He still managed to discover more than 2000 DSOs. And I've managed to see more than a thousand.

The weather isn't always like this - just most of the time.

The great astronomer William Herschel (who lived in England) reckoned one night in three was good for some sort of observing, though when he took Moon and sky transparency into account, he could only manage about 100 hours of optimum deep-sky observing per year. He still managed to discover more than 2000 DSOs. And I've managed to see more than a thousand.

oh cool, is that in any particular time of year? what kind of scope did you use to see dso's with and could you get any detail?

thnx for your answer.

j

oh cool, is that in any particular time of year? what kind of scope did you use to see dso's with and could you get any detail?

thnx for your answer.

j

Peak time for DSO viewing is spring when the dense galaxy fields of Virgo - Coma - Ursa Major are best placed. Low season is summer when nights are short and in northern UK the sky doesn't even get fully dark. But there's always something to look at, ideally when there's no Moon, and at a place as far as possible from light pollution.

I started with an 8" (about 12 years ago) and moved to a 12" about 3 years ago. I've also used binoculars and small scopes on holidays. With the 12" at a dark site I can see signs of spiral arms, dark lanes etc in many galaxies, though it takes practice to see these things - it's not like the photos.

Given the weather, moon, need for sleep, etc, I generally manage a couple of sessions a month. You can never do as much as you'd like so you've just got to make the most of the times when you can.

light pollution will be gone when i come to power.......il have switch for it lol. youl get jupiter and up to four of the galileon moons very easly...also cluod bands on jupiter it self...as for saturn, rings and the shadow of the planet on the rings...if your lucky the cassini division in the rings too......mars on the other hand, youl see it but dont expect much its a real pest to view.....but do look at it youl get a little detail if the conditions are good enough............................SG......................

Nice1 4 the input, guys. Was just lookin at jupiter between clouds and its pretty frustrating timing the sessions, it changes by the minute. can imagine it gets difficult with bigger scopes - mines a 130m - im hopimg to see some dso's with it when conditions allow.

Till then i need to learn collimating.

anyways, ta guys.

:icon_scratch:

yeah, man. Know the feeling. Its worth looking at the weather forecast online, see what chance you have of a partly clear night. Your scopes sound good, its a pity you cant put them to good use as often as you'd like.

'Clear skies' as they say,

jay

It's been very frustrating the last few weeks, I've got an 8" dob so getting it out and ready for viewing is a bit tiresome so you tend to only do it on nights that are crystal clear, my mum has a celestron 127 slt and that can be taken outside very quickly if you just want a quick look at something. I'm planning next Christmas on getting one of those to compliment the dob as you miss out on a lot by just not having the time for a slow setup.

I think it's only cloudy when the day ends in a Y. This last month has been awful. I have used my scope for 45 minutes in the last 4 weeks. Was hoping to get out tonight but alas in come the clouds again. That's what happens when you have a hobby that is reliant on the weather. I am hoping for another 45 minutes this month. Clear skies all I hope.

Since I took up astronomy I have been thinking about what to do on the other 364 nights of the year...........

At least the Daylight Saving Bill was dropped or we would all be missing out on an hour's observing on the one day there is some seeing!

I have been in astronomy now for exactly a year, I have managed, on average, 2 nights of DSO imaging a month since then but, if I had been hard core enough to take EVERY clear night that presented itself and/or got up early in the mornings I probably could have got 3 - 4 a month.

You generally get about 1 night a week on average that is clear enough for some reasonable observing/imaging.

Sure, you get periods of 2 - 3 weeks with no clear skies, but you also get great weeks like the one we had last September when there were about 4 clear nights in a row across most of the UK.

Be patient :-)

Ben

I have been in astronomy now for exactly a year, I have managed, on average, 2 nights of DSO imaging a month since then but, if I had been hard core enough to take EVERY clear night that presented itself and/or got up early in the mornings I probably could have got 3 - 4 a month.

Ben

I got my first scope in Dec 2010 and I would say that's been my experience too - 2 or 3 nights a month on average.

I'd love to get more viewing/imaging done, but there's loads of diy astronomy projects to keep you busy on cloudy nights.

Yay...!

FINALLY, a good nights observing weather. After getting briefly rained on while i wasnt looking my scope cooled nicely with jupiter in focus, then it stayed clear for my first proper view of Saturn (:)) using the x2 barlow.

A nice image to go to sleep with, im chuffed but knackered.

Awesome news, congrats dude. Not long come in myself, my first proper sesh for a few weeks due to weather, unfortunately Jupiter went behind my house just as I got set up, so hopped around other stuff waiting for the ringed lady. This was only my 3rd real look at Saturn and she was definitely worth the wait. Just think...700 ish million miles away and you were viewing from it from your gaff, amazing. Also dunno about anyone else but when im looking at her.....i dont notice the cold anymore. Im chuffed for you bud.

Cheers

Ed

Archived