NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

wakefield area

crashtestdummy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed clear skies from sunset to packing up at 4:30am at galloway,its proper dark up there!!!downsides,lots of dew most of the night so really frustrating and lost loads of time so im going to buy a portable hair dryer today as i dont fancy messing with dew heaters.managed 15 new messiers and 40 odd new galaxies.will write a report when ive slept more

Just been up to winscare in the daylight to see where it was from my house about 18 miles lovely spot for walking the dogs can'twait to try it in the dark next time we all meet sorry crash didn't see your gray bag there either

Its ok,i can replace the bag quite easily.galloway is so dark you cant see the crosshairs in your finder scope and the sky almost seems brighter looking through the eyepiece.its an awesome place!i need an iluminated finder scope and a portable hairdryer for my next session up there!!all in all i learn from my mistakes so can complain with the night.still bagged another 40 gallaxies and 15 messiers

Sounds good crash although that far I'd like to stop over and grab a couple of nights.Winscar for me tonight theres some high wispy cloud so I can always drop back home if it clouds up.

hope you all had a great night last night. i was a little jealous but have to think of her indoors sometimes :tongue:

Damian here is your first light pic from the other night. a little out of focus but we realised that at the time, but still not too bad. post-22085-0-32360000-1365329867_thumb.j

Had a good night at Winscarr last night and managed to pick up a few more objects, although the seeing conditions looked brilliant for some reason I couldn't pick out NGC 3628 of the Leo triplet which I could on Wednesday night when we were all out?

I think there must've been some very high hazy cloud that just bleached out the sky (as though the moon was up) so the light pollution from Manchester and Sheffield was reflecting on something up there?

Quite a few shooting stars about too.

Nice pic soupy, thanks, and to say it was just a throw the camera on the scope and a quick focus check is really impressive especially between the clouds we had to dodge to get it!

Got Panstarrs in the scope first thing after doing a spot on 3 star alignment, my first comet and here's to Ison later in the year should be well worth waiting for.

My viewing list for last night that I recorded was:-Panstarrs, double cluster in Cassiopeia, M13,27,31,57,64,85,87,88,99,100 , Albireo and Saturn yet again.

I finally packed all the gear away at 3am when the temp on the power tank showed -3deg even the heated insoles had given out!

Damian

It has got to get warmer Paul but I do associate the clearest skies with the cold.

Yes I was out on my own Steve with the geese for company and the little site generator going in the back ground.I did see the site workers a couple of time's but apart from that not another soul.

I didn't mind it but I can understand people's concerns and would prefer some company myself but I don't like to miss an opportunity.Only had one jumpy moment when looking through the eye piece and heard the patter of feet across the car park was a rabbit!

Thought of some more mod's I can make, firstly I'm going to flock my scope tube for better contrast as I've read it makes a big difference and also get the heated insoles wired to the power tank ha ha!

'the night is dark and full of terrors' - game of thrones

a tually i love the night, many times whils camping at places like clumber or forest of dean i will go out for a walk at 2am. the noises, smells and sights are spectacular once the hubbub of human distraction has left, allowing all the little critters to come out to play. watching bats or owls swooping through the forest is an experience few ever see, keeping still and watching foxes foraging or if you are extremely lucky a badger... brilliant!

They didn't put the light tower on crash so I didn't need to ask them maybe because it was the weekend?

I think Steve may be referring to human activity rather than nature.It's a damn sight less scarey than a Friday night in any city centre so I was well at home.

Looking forward to the next outing as I've now picked the flocking material up so it'll be done by then :-) so I'll be eager to test it.

Spent a few nights alone at Emley Moor, had a few funny looks from some "couples" but tended to be OK so far. It is better to have company though, heated insoles will not protect against that sort of unwanted human intrusion! :grin:

Glad you re getting some great nights in Damian, can't wait to get out again to some clear skies.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good nights then we can all meet up again for some galaxy hunting. Think Nephalem (Paul) will be eager to test that fixed mount out? and I'll be wanting to test the flocked tube out see how much difference it makes? just need a few more bits before I pull the OTA to pieces and sort it!

Archived