Booked a cabin at Galloway!

Monki

Me and some friends have booked a cabin at the edge of Galloway Forest, Scotland, for 4 days :)

My 60mm refractor is going to be overwhelmed with the crazy dark skies O_o hehe. My friend is bringing his scope too, i've never seen it, but i think it's only small like mine.

Another friend is bringing his Canon 7d too to document the trip, but we're also going to try some prime focus with it :S...My scope is on an motorised altaz mount so tracking will be ok, but obvs the exposures would be short :( but hopefully with such dark skies we'll be able to get some nice star filled images though. I wouldn't expect anything mind blowing with only 60mm, but maybe some good twinkles :angry4:

I can't wait....i've stayed in galloway forest once before and i remember the amount of stars i could see was amazing!

Ohhh how i wish i could win the lottery and get a 10"+ to go with :icon_eek:

For anyone interested, the cabin's webaite is http://www.cloudcuckoolodge.co.uk/

Sent from a Galaxy S 2 far away.

I spent a week at Cloud Cuckoo Lodge back in June last year!

Lovely cabin, everything you'll ever need in there, plus the owners are really nice people, very welcoming and helpful.

Unfortunately the skies weren't very clear when I was there but you should have some better skies this time of year.

Have a great time and watch out for the cows! :)

Thanks guys, I would have never thought of checking the moon phase! :(

It is going to be near full :) , buuut.... i put the Lat+Lon of the cabin into stellarium and checked the moon at the dates i'm going....It's only around during the day :p

The night sky will be moon free so all i can hope for is no clouds.

Should be great :mad:

Good luck at Caresthorn, nightfisher!

Edit: Maybe i didnt't say it right :S i didn't know the names, but i checked again and it's going to be 1st quarter to what looks like waxing gibbous. Each day i'm there the moon is rising in the day time and by night it's past the horizon.

Edit: Maybe i didnt't say it right :S i didn't know the names, but i checked again and it's going to be 1st quarter to what looks like waxing gibbous. Each day i'm there the moon is rising in the day time and by night it's past the horizon.

Surprising how quick it moves through the phases (new to full in a fortnight and the rise and times times shifting forward each day).

You'll soon find you live by the moon :p

Archived