NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I Love My Dobs!!

Damo636

A couple of pics of my updated setup to show the main differences between the Skywatcher (Synta) and GSO dobs for anyone considering one or the other. The GSO dob comes as standard with a dual speed focuser, cooling fan and a needle roller bearing on the azimuth axis. Tension is set via a large handwheel in the middle of the rocker box. The azimuth movement is exceptionally smooth as a result. The GSO dobs balance can be set by sliding the ota up or down on the altitude bearings, particularly useful if using heavy eyepieces. The altitude tension is set by adjusting the large hand wheels either side. Again the movement is very smooth on this axis and much smoother than the Skywatcher teflon roller bearing approach. The Skywatcher dob can be moved in one piece though as the tension handles double up as carry handles. I am trying to source a needle roller bearing for the 8" dob to bring it up to speed with its bigger brother and some teflon mouse tape will improve the smoothness of the altitude movement. :)

post-24496-133877731379_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877731388_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877731395_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877731401_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877731411_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877731418_thumb.jpg

post-24496-133877731424_thumb.jpg

Looks great, but i don't understand what you mean about the alt bearings sliding up and down...

The mouse tape is a great idea, though tbh i don't have much issue on the alt bearing on my SW, the AZ bearing on the other hand needs some serious love. I've added spacers to reduce friction but it's still a little jumpy.

Nice idea on the foam in the rocker box btw :)

Edit: oooooooooh i see what you mean now, but that's a tiny adjustment... is that enough?!

Thanks guys.

Jimmyjamjoe. There is roughly 3" of adjustment in the altitude axis. I have the ota lowered almost all the way to compensate for the weight of my eyepieces.

Barry. In that particular picture the handle is only stuck on as i hadn't decided where it was best positioned. I have since drilled 2 holes in the ota and fixed the handle with 2 M5 capscrews.

Great telescopes Damo, though does the SW see much action these days?

The plan was to have the 8" as my grab and go but to be honest i haven't used it since the 12" arrived. Its a more suitable size for my 5 year old though who is starting to show an interest so it will probably become his eventually. I also have the option to mount it on the EQ5 for a bit of high power tracking if i feel the need. Either way i can't see myself parting with it, its a great scope, a proper jack of all trades!

Looking good Damo! I see you went with the 12" GSO in the end then. How is the height for your son ? (not that it matters as I bet he can't wait to get hold of the 200P :) ) Have you noticed much difference in the views between the two dobs ? I like the idea that the AZ can be tensioned. I don't see the frak in your sig any more. I take it you let it go to fund the GSO ?

Thanks SB. I decided on the 12" in the end up as i knew i would have eventually started to wonder what if?? There is a marked improvement in light gathering over the 8", everything is just so much brighter and Dso's are so much easier to find. I did indeed let the frac go, reluctantly i have to say, and still not sure i did the right thing :D The thinking was that the 8" dob would be a great grab and go rig and easier for the young lad to manage than the EQ mounted frac. The Lyra f11 was lovely though!

IMO the only real advantage with fraks is contrast on the moon and double stars. Certainly worth the compromise to have the 12" GSO. I think you made the right choice both make and aperture. That GSO certainly seems to offer more value for money. For one you will be getting your monies worth out of the Ethos now. I see that you were surprised by the increase in size despite it only being a 4" aperture gain. I have to admit despite already having a rough idea it is shocking to see the actual comparison in the pictures. It might be worth considering to make an offset mask like moonshanes for the 12" for the moon and doubles observing.

IMO the only real advantage with fraks is contrast on the moon and double stars. Certainly worth the compromise to have the 12" GSO. I think you made the right choice both make and aperture. That GSO certainly seems to offer more value for money. For one you will be getting your monies worth out of the Ethos now. I see that you were surprised by the increase in size despite it only being a 4" aperture gain. I have to admit despite already having a rough idea it is shocking to see the actual comparison in the pictures. It might be worth considering to make an offset mask like moonshanes for the 12" for the moon and doubles observing.

I have to admit i underestimated the size of the 12" and was a little shocked when i first seen the size of the tube. The aperture mask is an interesting idea, i might just have a go at one of these :D

Archived