Telescope covers

I am looking for a teleacope cover so I can leave my scope out overnight to do both evening and morning observing.

I have found 2 options. One at £26 here

Cases, Bags and Covers for Telescopes and Other Optics

and one at £76 here

Dobson Covers - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

Has anyone got either? Is is worth spending more? Has anyone got any alternatives?

Thanks

Simon :)

I was wondering about this after getting caught in a heavy shower first time I went out with my kit. Just need something to chuck over it at short notice. The BBQ cover looks like a good idea Paul.

A visit to your local garden center could prove worthwhile, there are many fabricated and woven covers for garden furniture which are very strong indeed and made to withstand the rigors of the winter elements, to my mind if you stick the word Astronomy in front of a cover, then you are going to be paying twice as much from some outlets for almost the same thing :)

Hi Simon,

I use a plastic survival bag, yellow at the moment. It has been to a number of Star Parties, SGL 6, Galloway 2011 and Cumbria 4 in November 2011.

The bag is very simple to use, no zips to freeze up...... Plus this one was free with a Mountain mazagine!!!

I was thinking of purchasing the cover from Green Witch, the stuff Lee sells is usually high quality and he is very helpful as well.

If you get an opportunity to go to SGL 7 you will see a vast variety of covers.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks all,

The reason I posted was that I have been out some evenings where it has been clear and then clouded over or there has been a hint of rain in between the clear skies. Also when I know it is going to be clear in the morning and I don't want to put the scope away.

It seems to me that telescope covers = barbecue cover + £10 ++.

I do however like the idea of a drawstring at the bottom as the wind can be blustery and remove any cover. I think I'll give the £70 one a miss.

Simon

I bought 2 covers from Green witch and they work really well. good price and good quality.

Yep, me as well.

Bought one for my new dobo, liked it so much I bought another for my 6SE.

Previously I had used a barby kettle drum cover which was OK-ish but, in hindsight, only good for light duties.

Archived