It was easier buying my van

I paid 30 x more on my van than i iam on a scope and i find it harder to pick a scope than my van. My budget is £200 and thats it no more.

All i want to do is view the skys and have some wow moments and maybe do some messing around with a webcam nothing serious luner and such. Im stuck between the SW 130p and the SW 150p Dob.

I know tracking on a dob is a no no but ive seen some great images on here using a dob so it can be done. I just would like some images for my own views so i can keep a record of what ive seen. Oh yea i also like modding and making things on the cheap which work. Any help would be grealty recieved.

Nearest shop is like 100 miles away and they seem to stock either cheap rubbish or really expensive stuff.

Cheers all :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be tempted to consider the Heritage 130 dob as well. I understand why some people like it, but personally I can't really see that much of an advantage to having the 130P on the EQ2 mount and if you had basically the same optics on a dob platform you'd have cash left over for a camera and other bits and pieces. The downside is probably that you need to put it on a table to be able to get to the eyepiece comfortably.

At your kind of budget my preference would be the dob every time I think.

James

With your budget I would not think about imaging things. Just get the scope that gives the best views and that would be the 150P dobsonian. When you get some more dosh you could always get a cheap web cam and take some snaps of the moon and planets. Imaging deep sky objects is a completely different ball game with completely different equipment needs so I'd leave that be for now.

The Skywatcher Skyliner dobs are great scopes.

Cheers guys for the quick replies i never thought buying a scope would be this bad.Buying a scope for 200 is leaving me some greenback left over for some extras like ep's , webcam and any other bits. I dont want to image deep sky yet just get a feel for imaging like moon our solar system really oh yea i really like the images when you see a lot of stars with a constellation in them. If i really get into it then up grade in like a year or so or even stick the OTA on a EQ mount. Ive been viewing the skys with aset old tatty 10x50 bins for like a year now so time to move up.

+1 on the 150p

Best value for money so you can dip your feet into the hobby and get a real feel of whats it all about. Once you complete the messiers in a year or 2 you'll probably want something a bit bigger but the 150p is a very competent scope.

Regarding imaging just don't expect miracles as it requires a considerable higher investment in both time and money to get quality results. Besides, there are so many good imagers around that it will soon become addicting as you'll always be chasing after that kind of quality results.

You are dead right on the National Geo scopes - can't understand why a respectable publication can let it's name be used on poor products but I guess their marketing dept has sold the branding and thats it :icon_eek:

Your nearest dealer might well be First Light Optics (see top of page) who are based in Exeter although they don't have a showroom as such. I think you can make arrangements with them to pop in and look at something if you are in the area though.

There used to be a dealer called South West Optics in Truro that dealt with decent astro equipment but I don't think they are still around.

Keep asking the Q's on here though and we will do our best to help :)

I think ill brand the SW 150p dob in my arm so i wont look at other scopes of the same price and think that could be better :). My son had a scope for xmas one year about 4 years ago it was a 50 quider from argross and it was really bad and even put him off. I dont expect anything from imaging but i have to have a go at it at least and then i can sell my van and business to buy a quality set up :icon_eek:

The tube and mirrors are the same on the 150PL and despite not actually having a clue with how to do any astrophotography at all I got this with a webcam....

Jupiter2711-1.png

granted it was on an EQ6 but the mount is waaaaay OTT for the telescope. Anyway, it proves the F8 150P's are very capable, given my lack of skill.

That is awesome well done. I just wont to get into a hobby that is calmer than my previous ones which were way to dangerous and nearly put me out of action for the rest of my life. There seems to be something quite calming and almost like meditating about searching the stars through my bins so god knoes what its going to be like through a 150 dob i cant wait.

The 150P on the EQ3-2 is a different tube, the Explorer 150PL is the same as the Skyliner 150P. Out of the two tubes and three options I'd go for the dob. It's a bit more 'useful' and the EQ3-2 isn't too clever under the 150PL. If you want to have it on a mount at some stage then you can by getting tuberings and a mount that can take it.

200p:eek: Looks like im coming down with a case of apeture fever :)

You are only in the early stages of the disease nothing too much to worry about yet. It can get hold of some people quite seriously.

I don't think it is as bad as astro-photography though, that can get really very very bad. I decided after seeing some body with AP that I would not bother with it much. It can really mess you up quite bad.

:icon_eek:

Archived