NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reticule eyepiece

gooseholla

Hi,

Considering the cost of a reticule eyepiece - bet it illuminated or cross hair - I was wondering: would a surplus cheap £5 25mm eyepiece with a carefully marked dot in the centre of the lens work just as well? I know the crosshairs can show the travel of an object and allow for easier corrections, but I am thinking more of for lining an object up perfectly centre in the eyepiece for aliging a goto mount.

The "dot" would need to be on/at the focal plane of the eyepiece...where the aperture stop is positioned.

You could make up a small ring with a couple of fine cross-wires ( the fine transformer wire from ol' transistor radios works well) and position this inside the eyepiece at the focus????

I remember back in the day (1970s), I tried a project published in Sky and telescope or something which used one of your own hairs to make a reticule, by gluing then in an X in an old eyepiece! You had to get the position precise to ensure the hairs were in focus, but it worked as far as I recall.

How much is "too much" for the illuminated reticle EP?

I recently purchased one from Sky's the Limit (or whatever they're called) for about £36. It's perhaps not as well-engineered as an £80 one, but it does the job for me.

James

I bought a Meade one years ago and it was both expensive and awful, with black paint kicking about on the inside. I can't think why I didn't send it back.

I also have a home made one with wire cross hair. It isn't bad but sags in hot weather! The one that comes with the Altair Astro finderscope is pretty good.

Olly

How much is "too much" for the illuminated reticle EP?

I recently purchased one from Sky's the Limit (or whatever they're called) for about £36. It's perhaps not as well-engineered as an £80 one, but it does the job for me.

James

I new I saw one around that price somewhere. Just checked for you and it's £37.99. Looks the same as my one (mead or skywatchers). I paid about £85 around 5 years ago.:)

Archived