What boxes to use when packing up a scope for shipping?

So ... my garage is messy enough without keeping my CPC1100 boxes lying around for all eternity. But I just know that if I bin them, my scope will suddenly require repair and packaging up for return to Celestron.

What do others do in this scenario if you need to return a sizeable scope for repair but have no boxes?

Many thanks

(Yippee, my 100th post!)

Alistair, if you open the ends of the boxes, even if it means a cut here and there, you can then fold them flat for storage wrapped in plastic dustbin bags, then stored on the wall of your garage or in the roof, they are then easy to remake with plenty of parcel tape HTH :icon_salut:

Alistair, if you open the ends of the boxes, even if it means a cut here and there, you can then fold them flat for storage wrapped in plastic dustbin bags, then stored on the wall of your garage or in the roof, they are then easy to remake with plenty of parcel tape HTH :icon_salut:

Ahhh - good idea. Any suggestion for the polystyrene-type blocks?? They are not insignificant for a CPC 1100!

Pack them inside each other as much as possible (think 3D jigsaw puzzle meets russian dolls) and wrap them in bin bags?

In principle a good idea, but in practice you've obviously not seen the size of my CPC 1100 packing - a single piece of OTA packing material wouldn't even come close to fitting in a large wheelie bin!

I guess I was hoping that people might say if it has to go back for repair, your dealer or David Hinds will courier you the necessary boxes. I'm obviously living in cloud cuckoo land. :icon_salut: I'll flat pack the boxes and stuff them out of sight somewhere and see if I can't cut the packing materials with a Stanley knife - probably my best solution.

I had a similar dilemma with my air rifles. I kept the packaging for the first year (ie, the guarantee year), then it became bonfire fodder one fine autumn.

I recently had a problem with one of the rifles, and the manufacturer said I should send it back for an overhaul. BUT they didn't want the whole rifle - I had to take off the stock and the sight. I imagine Celestron or Skywatcher would say the same - just send back the bit that's gone wrong. Amateur packaging in that case would be less of a problem.

just send back the bit that's gone wrong. Amateur packaging in that case would be less of a problem.

Not sure there's much dissembley I can do with my integrated OTA/fork mount CPC ... but I take your point.

Actually, I've just realised, as David Hinds is only 20 miles or so away, I could always drop it off there myself ... subject to them ever talking to me again after my post in the SGL supplier section :icon_salut:

Problem solved - time to fill the wheelie bin.

Alistair, if you are going to cut the Poly blocks for storage, use a large sharp domestic carving knife, far better than a craft knife, mark the bits with a felt pen so you know which goes with which, hang in a poly bag in the garage roof, you can reassemble the blocks with parcel tape when required :)

Alistair, if you are going to cut the Poly blocks for storage, use a large sharp domestic carving knife, far better than a craft knife, mark the bits with a felt pen so you know which goes with which, hang in a poly bag in the garage roof, you can reassemble the blocks with parcel tape when required :)

Great suggestion. This is why I keep coming back again and again!!

Alistair, great minds think alike, I am going to sort this tomorrow myself as well. I will collapse mine down, fold them flat and put them in the loft. Its dry up there (think, very slight heat rising through despite the 6 " insulation). I also took photos of every stage of my unpacking so that I can see how the packing goes together in case should ever have to ship back. If anyone is reading this thread in the future PM me for these photos.

Steve

Archived