Some advice needed

I found this link which has a software which claims to show views on screen as would be seen through a telescope of the mentioned aperture and selected EP. It has moon jupiter saturn as the targets. Can any one verify the trueness of the claim if anyone has seen through telescope and can compare both of them.

Here is the link:

Telescope Simulator and Telescope Comparison home page

The trial calculator seems a little off. im sure that in my scope with a 6mm eye piece Jupiter appears bigger. You can do the scope simulation in stellarium which is fairly accurate (but doesnt acount for atmospheric conditions) In stellarium its called the occular plug in

Stellarium

EDIT

Just noticed you need to select scope type. Mine isnt there

The webpage you link to doesn't do justice to the views. There is substantially more planetary detail at higher power than is shown by those images. It's very hard to convey an eyepiece impression in a photo. Photos always look larger than what you'll see in the eyepiece and they can show either a lot les detail than what you will see or a lot more. This photo is roughly in line with what you might see in about a 10" scope: http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Orion/ap729_822009?$660wide$

The main difference between what you will see and that photo is that the colours look more de-saturated in the eyepiece view. Also, the image moves in the eyepiece so details can be fleeting.

Just tried it - the view presented is nowhere near as good as I can get with my scope and eypiece. I agree with everyone else and I'd suggest something like CCDCalc or 12Dstring for better representations and more options (including visual and camera views) :icon_salut:

Hi Amit,

Interestingly, when I went to follow the link you gave, my anti-virus software McAfee came up with a warning that that linking to it may cause a virus to be downloaded.

Anyway, I have used some of these simulators, I found that they give a good impression of what the view will look like. The 12dstring site suggested by Dobby looks very good. Given the next clear skies night minus snow I will give it a try!!!

Cheers

Adrian

Archived