Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Qhy5 connecting to heq5pro

Hi. Not sure if this is in the correct category?

Having got to grips with AP over the last 12 months I am ready to move over to a guiding setup. I was going to go for the synguider but have now decided that I will be to much faff after reading some of the posts. I have decided to go down the QHY5 route and use my st80 as a guide scope.

Am I correct in thinking the qhy5 would connect to the st4 port on my mount, and also to my net book via USB. Then I would guide via PHD on my netbook.

I have had my mount connected to my netbook before and have used stallarium to move it so I'm sure I have the right drivers on my computer.

So my question is 1, is it this simple to connect up? And 2, will this be a much better option than the synguider?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

Yes, and Yes!

Just connect the camera ST-4 port to the ST-4 port on the mount (get the correct ST-4 cable!!)

Select "on Camera" for the guide seeting in PHD.

I use CdC, but there should be no issues.

The ST80/QHY5 is a proven guide package - works very well.

i currently use this set up also yo have to download the drivers unless you have bought it new from here QHY CCD software Download its easy to set up just plug the st4 into the back of the qhy5 along with the usbe cable and then plug the other end of the st4 into the autoguider port and the usb into the netbook and launch PHD away you go. the only thin i would mention is that if you mount the st80 without gudie scope rings sometimes its a pain to get a guide star ( i will be investing in some guide scope rings soon) but my first night i was able to get 10 min subs. the thing with the synguider is portablity no cables as with the qhy5 there are a few more cables but im enjoying my setup. good luck and keep us updated :)

Hi

That's nice to hear! , I'm not going to bother with guide rings I'm going to use the skywatcher guide scope mount, I've seen one and they look an awesome bit of kit.

Can't wait to get cracking now, thanks again

Paul

QHY5v planetary camera with guide port

CMOS sensor: Micron MT9V032 (Mono version) also a colour version

Resolution: 752x480

Pixel size : 6µm x 6µm

Image area: 1/3inch

Download speed: 54FPS maximum USB2

Image Save Speed: 20-54FPS depending on PC speed

Electric Shutter type: Global shutter

12bit companding mode

High Gain Boost and high dynamic mode

QHY5, more guide camera than planet but can do planets and moon

Micron MT9M001 1/2inch CMOS sensor, 1280 x 1024 Active pixels, 1.3 megapixels, Pixel Size: 5.2um x 5.2um, Peak QE = 56%, USB2.0 High Speed download; 24Mpixel/s 15 FPS @ 1280 x 1024; 50 FPS@ 640 x 480 Uncompressed Video data, Built in Opto Isolated Guide Port Progressive Scan, ROI support,

Peter

Peter,

How would the T version perform

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#253b6d]
[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B] Main Features[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[LIST]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Sensor: Micron 1/2inch MT9T001[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Active pixels: 2048*1536[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Pixel Size: 3.2um x 3.2um square [/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Support 2*2 hardware Color Binning[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]USB2.0 High Speed 24Mpixel/s[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Support Various ROI capture[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Uncompressed Video data[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Builin in Guide Port Guide port, Optic isolated[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Progressive Scan[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Telescope Interface: M42/0.75[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Filter interface: M28.5/0.5 for 1.25inch Filter[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#ff6600][B]Size: 64mm diameter 26.5-32mm length[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[/LIST]

Large CCD with small pixels

Uhmm found this on anothre forum

Smaller pixels = less sensative.

Bayer matrix = even less sensative.

Doesn't matter what the pixel size is if they aren't sensative enough to pick up the stars in the first place. If you have to double the exposure time in order to detect stars, then there's no benefit, and considerable penalty.

The qhy5 uses the mt9m001, qhy5t uses the mt9t001. Essentially the same technology sensor, but, the smaller pixels on the t mean it'll likely be less sensative, ie require longer exposure time to pick up useable signals. Dont be fooled by possible 'binning' modes on these sensors, they dont operate by pixel combining, they operate by pixel skipping, so, binning them will not increase sensativity.

We've got a couple of qhy5 cameras here for guiding. The monochrome variant of that sensor is marginal enough in terms of sensativity, I wouldn't consider one with a bayer matrix, and I certainly wouldn't consider the t variant for use in a very short focal length guide scope.

So the T version should be steer cleared of ?

QHY5T

CMOS sensor: Micron 1/2inch MT9T001

Resolution: 2048 x 1536 (3 MegaPixels)

Pixel size : 3.2µm x 3.2µm

Image area: 1/2inch

USB2 interface - no compression.

Supports Colour 2x2 hardware binning (1024x768)

ROI mode allows high FPS planetary imaging

Build in Guide Port (optically isolated)

As a guidecam the pixels are too small to be sensitive enough and as a planetary / lunar camera the pixels are a bit on the small side to work at long focal lengths without oversampling.

Peter

Archived