NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

interactive LP map of UK

perkil8r

That's really interesting, even if a little sad to see all that LP! :clouds1:

Although I guess I''m luckier than some living in a narrow strip of yellow, sandwiched between a red area and a green one, if that makes any sense?! And as we live on the side of a valley, the red bit which is the local small town is at least below my horizon.

Funny thing is, we looking to move house this year, and it'll be the first time I've had take light pollution into consideration! :D

According to this I am in a yellow area, but I would say I'm closer to the edge of it judging by the amount I can see with the naked eye. Having looked I can now see some interesting areas very close by, and by switching between this and google maps I can try and find some suitable viewing places. Up untill now though I keep finding private roads, either that or car parks etc that are gated and locked :D

Rather depressing seeing how the light pollution spreads between towns (even small ones) with no break. :D

I live in a teeny tiny village about ten miles away from a moderately-sized town. We don't have any street lights, or even pavements to put them on lol. The map indicates I have clear skies here, though I can see the glow from said town on the horizon. As much as I'd like to think we live in a good seeing area, I think the map is a tad optimistic.

It's based on a population map. Basically Frédéric (whose work this is) has taken a population map, estimated how light pollution you get from a populated area and estimated the spread in between.

We've been playing around with using this map as an overlay on our own (MyDarkSky) map - with permission, of course. The way it correlates with actual, ground-based data is impressive. It's not 100% but it's certainly a useful guide.

It's based on a population map. Basically Frédéric (whose work this is) has taken a population map, estimated how light pollution you get from a populated area and estimated the spread in between.

We've been playing around with using this map as an overlay on our own (MyDarkSky) map - with permission, of course. The way it correlates with actual, ground-based data is impressive. It's not 100% but it's certainly a useful guide.

Thought it might be population-based. Still gives a good idea of LP spread though.

More information about it can be found at:

UK Light pollution Map

Note, if you've got Google Earth, it's well worth downloading the overlay:

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/uk.kmz

Woah, the astrophoto map is even more depressing lol!

That explains why where we live has a small blue 'LP blob' even though the nearest street light is several miles away in the next valley.

Archived