NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Look sideways and squint!

Cloudwatcher

If you do as instructed above you might just be able to see the shadow cast on Jupiter by transiting Io.

Sorry about the quality/colour but had to push the contrast and colour for it to show at this resolution.

P.S. The small red blob to the right of picture is Callisto.

Looks almost 3D ish, without the need for the coloured specs.

I see Io's shadow ok, what's the details CW. Like scope, camera, exposures, etc.

Nice pic. The big fellow is not in a good place at the mo.

Ron. :)

Looks almost 3D ish, without the need for the coloured specs.

I see Io's shadow ok, what's the details CW. Like scope, camera, exposures, etc.

Nice pic. The big fellow is not in a good place at the mo.

Sorry for lack of info,Ron. The scope was a Travelstar 150 and the camera an EOS350D,EP a WO 15mm plus 2x barlow.

I will check iphoto for exposure detail and let you know later. In the meantime I have again cropped,enlarged and despeckled the image for a clearer view although the dreaded Achro blue fringe is now begining to show.

CW

My good lady tells me ( quite often, thinking about it) I never leave well enough alone. Never prove a lady wrong

is a good motto so I had another play with the Jupiter image. Increased resolution again and cropped to a smaller

region including the shadow. Used the elliptical marquee tool to isolate shadow and applied auto levels.

Not a pretty sight but I think the pinkish spot that shows up might be Io rather than part of the cloud belt below!

My good lady tells me ( quite often, thinking about it) I never leave well enough alone. Never prove a lady wrong

is a good motto so I had another play with the Jupiter image. Increased resolution again and cropped to a smaller

region including the shadow. Used the elliptical marquee tool to isolate shadow and applied auto levels.

Not a pretty sight but I think the pinkish spot that shows up might be Io rather than part of the cloud belt below!

If that region is the south west quadrant of Jupiter, then the sun Io jupiter relationship would be correct for that to be the case CW.

If it is, you've turned up another gem. You will need to be careful, you are in danger of becoming famous.

I hope it turns out to be the case.

Looks like your right chaps. :o Just another blob. Confused myself by flipping image back and forth in PS. Should listen to the wife but don't let her know that! :)

I learned a long time ago CW. They can be irritating creatures at times, but when you listen, eventually you begin to realize the pearls of wisdom that sometimes emanates from those ever moving lips. But, I think you have cottoned on, as you are undoubtedly a wise man. You never let them know that you took their advice, and acted upon it. I don't know about you, but it creases me when my good lady can generate a solution to a problem I've struggled with.

It's all your fault Ron and SHMBO will be so advised! Your mention of the SW quadrant of Jupiter got me thinking again.

That would be the Newtonian view, would it not? I was using a refractor so although the image was rightway up it was of

course a mirror image with the shadow in the top left or NE quadrant. However flip it over and you have a correctly

orientated view with the shadow in the NW quadrant i.e a corrected Newtonian view! (Clever stuff this!)

Well,to cut a long story short I compared the image with a Starry Night frame for the time in question approx 00:45hrs

and although not a perfect match it's quite close. What do you think? Agree and I won't tell you know who, that it was you who set me of again! Sound fair?

CW

It's all your fault Ron and SHMBO will be so advised! Your mention of the SW quadrant of Jupiter got me thinking again.

That would be the Newtonian view, would it not? I was using a refractor so although the image was rightway up it was of

course a mirror image with the shadow in the top left or NE quadrant. However flip it over and you have a correctly

orientated view with the shadow in the NW quadrant i.e a corrected Newtonian view! (Clever stuff this!)

Well,to cut a long story short I compared the image with a Starry Night frame for the time in question approx 00:45hrs

and although not a perfect match it's quite close. What do you think? Agree and I won't tell you know who, that it was you who set me of again! Sound fair?

CW

Agree! Agree! Agree!.

Well done CW! :o Great images :D

Martin :)

Thanks Martin. Ruining images in Photoshop is great fun. :)

Love the hat by the way! Do they do them in other colours?

I think thats "case proven". Now whizz it off to a magazine and get it published.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Thank you Kapitan,I'm honored that you think it worthy of publication. (there should be a smug smiley here)

I have relatives up your way and understand it's a wee bit damp in the Huddersfield area at present. :)

CW

I have relatives up your way and understand it's a wee bit damp in the Huddersfield area at present. :)

CW

Its very fortunate that we have hills, and that the rain runs down them. :) If this was a flat area like Norfolk the rain would be over our welly tops by now. I've got up this morning to even more rain, if this keeps up we'll be getting a hosepipe ban to stop the rivers bursting!

:):o:D

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived