Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skyliner 150p dob advice please

this is to anybody who owns a SW SKYLINER 150P DOB, now im pretty sure this is the scope im goin to buy. just wondered is it awkward to view through having to bend down to the eye piece or can you sit on a chair and view through it?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking through the eyepiece is fine, looking through the finderscope is another matter, low on the horizon its fine, as you approach vertical it does introduce a rather interesting crick in your neck.

I couldn't justify the extra expense on the 200P and am delighted with the performance, £ for £ you won't do better. For the DSO's, aperture is everything, the 200 will collect more light. The size to store and transport the 150P and 200P is similar.

If I had the extra funds I would have gone for the 200.

i was just looking at a video guide to the scope and it just looked awkward the way the guy was crouching down to the eye piece. but im prety sure im goin to get 1 as every1 one on here highly recomends them

yes it will ive taken nearly 2 weeks to decide which 1 to get it was guna be a heritage 130p then a 130p eq and after more reading on here decided i mite aswel pay that little bit extra and get the biggest i can afford i just hope they are as good as people say. do you take yours to different sites or just at home they seem to be still quite portabe considering their size

Yeah, its very manageable. I started out viewing from my back garden and was happy, theres not too much LP in the small village.

Then I made the mistake of going to a dark site. I now know how much my observing from home is compromised. I still grab a crafty hour or so from home, its easy and convenient. If I have a little more time on my side I drive to a darker site.

Manage your expectations too, views of the moon and planets will be jaw dropping. DSO's are another matter, a faint grey smudge in the eyepiece. BUT, take a while to learn about what you are looking at. The photons your collecting have been on their journey from Andromeda (nearest galaxy) for 2.5 million years!!!!!!

You can see a lot with the 6" - it's a fun little scope than can be easily carried about the garden. Just learn how to observe as Tiddles has wisely said - averted vision with galaxies, clusters and nebulae and taking the time to study (planets will reward you for it) as opposed to cramming as many objects in as possible - and you'll be surprised at what you can see.

A dark sky does help, and the scope can easily be transportable in a car.

You can always buy a right angled finding scope- about £60 and an adjustable stool about £20-£30 on Amazon I would guess- sitting down is pretty much a must for me unless you construct yourself a small 1 foot table to put the scope on as some do.

The first time I saw the Orion Nebula I was amazed - all the time looking - never seeing - plenty of wow monets to come - Enjoy and good luck

well there are alot of high places round here only a 10 min drive away so im planning on doing that. so can you actualy see detail in planets with this scope?

CW- why don't you join the SWales group on the forum - they went out to Blaenavon on the weekend to a dark site- I think the next one is planned for Brecon - Nice to have some company when your out and about in the dark - I hope to go myself next time aswel:icon_salut:

im sure i will be pleased as i have never looked at the skies with a scope the closest ive seen the moon is taking pictures with a 200mm lense on my canon. and ive been using stellerium and looking with my eyes, so im excited to use a scope now :D

I have just bought a 150 dob and although its good. There a couple of moans. First yes the eyepiece is awkwardly placed and you will need to find a comfortable seat. Moon looks great, orion nebula good. Planets well Jupiter I can see it ok and two bands plus 4 moons, but its still small, dont expect Hubble. Its down to seeing Conditions, even when the sky looks good sometimes images are poor. Up to 160x with good conditions Jupiter is ok but small. I am waiting for a new better eyepiece will post results as and when.

well ive just placed the order with FLO. i do realise that planets are not going to be big clear pictures but i think its goin to be nice just to see them with my own eyes and to see a bit of detail with them. what eye piece are you buying may i ask?

i think it will be a long time before i upgrade an eyepiece. i have read on here about people upgrading to a celestron eyepiece and they said it was a big difference hope you have good results aswell. just hope i get good skies to try my scope out on the weekend if i get it by then

Sitting down makes viewing much easier . I dont have a special chair bit have found that sitting on the arm of one of out patio chairs gets me to the perfect height - can also plonk books/star atlases on the seat

Archived