NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

telescopes

hello everyone im Paul

Sorry if this has been asked before im going to buy my first telescope ive got £260 to spend ive been looking around and very confused. Id like to see the inner planets and some dsos, ive looked at 4.75 refractor portability is a must. ive looked at relectors but im a bit put off by collimation is it hard to do for a novice, also what mount az or eq any advice most welcome.

Hi Paul, have you looked (physically) at a 4.75" refractor? They are not necessarily what I would call portable. Do you have limited storage space? It may be worth going to a shop or a local society meet, just to get a look at the size of the scopes. If you want a small portable scope, a smaller refractor or Mak might suit.

Hi, if you want portability, no collumnation, and to look at inner planets and bright DSO's like planetary nebs, I recken the Maksutov is the way forward, I've owned a 90mm Mak and loved it (I only sold it to fund Uni). For 260 you could get the skymax 102mm on an EQ2 or for only about 20 quid more you can get it on the single arm Goto, which after a bit of initial set up will find and track objects for you, or if you can stretch to about 290 pounds you can get a 127 Mak on a supertrac mount which wont find things for you but will track them once found, and you get the 5 inch optics! Have fun shopping :icon_salut:

Just been looking at this Megastar1550 i know its a reflector, how hard is it to collumate im technically minded as with anything new might take a while is it something that can be done in minutes rather than hours.

I can't find anywhere that says it has a parabolic primary mirror and for the price it sounds and looks like a seben scope which are aweful. Look at celestron and skywatcher. A skyliner 150P or a 200p might be good for you as there are only two parts to them.

Don't be put off by collimation. Once you understand exactly what it is, and why at times it is necessary to carry out the procedure, you won't have the same worry.

Plenty of tutorials and video on how it's done.

The reflecting telescope is a very capable instrument, and larger aperture models are much cheaper than refractors of a useful size.

Money is usually a prime factor in telescope purchasing, and you get more aperture for your money with a reflector.

If you can afford a 150mm f5 Paraboloid Dobsonian, you will be more than pleased with it. It is a fine starter scope.

Of course you will get more recommendations, so take notice of them all, but you will need to decide yourself.

We will steer you clear of the not so good ones.:icon_salut:

Ron.

Archived