Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading the black HEQ5

TofuBoy

I don't have the mount yet, just wondering about any differences with upgrading it instead of buying it all in one go as I could pick a second hand standard heq5 + the upgrade kit for cheaper that's all. On a different note, is there any other kit I would need to get the mount to be controlled from my laptop with stellarium after putting on an upgrade kit to the heq5

I don't have the mount yet, just wondering about any differences with upgrading it instead of buying it all in one go as I could pick a second hand standard heq5 + the upgrade kit for cheaper that's all. On a different note, is there any other kit I would need to get the mount to be controlled from my laptop with stellarium after putting on an upgrade kit to the heq5

The upgrade kit comes with a serial cable used for flashing the firmware on the handset, it can also be used to connect the mount to a laptop via the handset so that you can contol it from Stellarium etc. You can replace the handset with an EQDIR module and use EQMOD instead.

Peter

The upgrade kit comes with a serial cable used for flashing the firmware on the handset, it can also be used to connect the mount to a laptop via the handset so that you can contol it from Stellarium etc. You can replace the handset with an EQDIR module and use EQMOD instead.

Peter

Is there any advantages of getting the EQDIR module instead of using the goto handset? The main reason of getting the upgrade kit is for the better motors and the ability of control of from my laptop. As this would be a future upgrade after getting this mount I just want to know what the best option would be. Best to start planning in advance haha

• 6 years later...

Know this is an old post, however am in the process of getting a black heq5 mount to go with an Evostar 100ed... Was wondering if I could upgrade it to GOTO, where to get the kit, and how difficult is it ? I am terrible at anything DIY etc... Haha

OR should I just purchase a new heq5 mount ?

Thanks for any help and replies.

Cheers

Richard

• 2 years later...