NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

new scope

I've seen spiral structure with a Skywatcher 12" dobsonian under dark skies in the galaxy M51 so I guess the answer is yes but the caveat has to be that the observing conditions must be right, as with all astronomical observations. Poor conditions can humble the most expensive optics !. As the others have said, the amount of detail you see in deep sky objects is principally influenced by aperture and observing conditions.

you seem to be asking two questions in one.

1) will aperture make a big difference to DSOs? the answer to this is most definitely. I have seen spiral arms in M33 and M51 at a dark site (which makes more difference than aperture) with a 12" dob so with a 14" it will be even better. you won't see photographic images though (although I think a visual view is always 'better').

2) Will very good/top optical quality make a big difference to DSOs?

the answer to this is probably no. BUT better quality does not cost a lot more at the new purchase of OOUK scopes so I'd recommend you go for it. also, as others say, for brighter objects and objects generally a better figure will reduce light scatter and therefore contrast and detail will generally be better.

hope I got the right end of the stick!

I am an OOUK fan and have a 16" dob, a 6" f11 dob and a 6" f6 on a GIRO mounted on a pedastal.

I'd like to thank all that have replied. Personally i would go for the largest appature but it becomes to much to handle when setting up and the cost of a mount goes up when you go above 14" or 25kg. I have been in to astronomy for about 2 years and what I have found is most experienced astronomers get to the better scopes after a multitude of inferier purchases, this also includes eye pieces! My theory is by going for the biggest with a quality build i will forgo the wasted purchases and invest that money into a scope i would have got further down the road any way.

I'd try and have a look at some scopes "in the flesh" before making a final decison. I found a 12" dobsonain (Meade Lightbridge) a lot to handle myself. A 14" will be more so.

You say you have seen many folks graduate to larger scopes after "inferior purchases". I've been in the hobby 30+ years and have seen many folks buy something that is too much to handle only to have to sell it and take a loss.

Take your time, ask lots of questions and think about how you want to pursue the hobby.

Sorry its taken a while to get back as ive been to work. I wanted Orion Optics as it seems to be the best Quality of workmanship, idealey i would go for a dob over an EQ mount as i dont intend on doing any photography. OO only seem to do dobs without goto and to be honest i need it! Has any body got any ideas on a "very good quality" of scope on a dob mount with goto?

Archived