Who needs a scope anyway?

Stu

Just stepped out of the office and looked up to see the crescent Moon, Venus and Jupiter shining brightly against a lovely blue twilight sky. I think I even said 'wow' quietly to myself :).

Beautiful

Stu

An amazing sight it was too. I managed to haul myself downstairs and to the front door to check the weather and spotted Venus and the lovely crescent moon hanging low above some houses to my west. A nice bit of earthshine was apparent on the moon which made for a great view in the binoculars :)

I saw them as I left the office too. Got home at 18:30 and took my telescope straight outside. All three targets looked good though 13mm (x92 mag) was as high as I could go. Venus was a golden blurry disc, Jupiter was quite sharp and the Moon really filled the eyepiece. My 10 year old daughter came out too and gave her approval with a 'wow, dad'.

:)

Should still be nice though they will not be nearly as close together as last night.

There will be a nice conjunction between the moon and Jupiter on 30th Jan so look out for that if its clear

Stu

Archived