Skyliner 150P vs 200P

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion the only reason to get a 150P over a 200 would be portability/storability and for some wider field photography application (but for that you need an EQ-mount and loads of other stuff). For pure visual I would pick the 200 any day of the week. It will last you for years.

I've owned many many scopes over the years but never owned a dob until recently when I bought a 200p f/6. After using it for a little while now I am absolutely staggered by it, how you can buy so much mounted aperture for so little money I'll never know! At f/6 coma is fairly well controlled even with fairly budget eyepieces, and I can pick the entire thing up and carry and plonk it down and your ready to go. Very easy to collimate too!

The 150p f/8 Dob would be no slouch either, at f/8 it would do well on the planets, I don't know this from practical experience as I've not owned the 150p Dob but I do know people with large fast dobs mask down the aperture to increase the focal length when viewing planets.

If you can affored it go for the 200p f/6 its a lot more light gathering for not much more money. Some people even prefer the 200p to the 250p as the 250p is fast at f/4.7 so shows a fair amount of coma and would be trickier to collimate. The 200p is at a sweet spot in the range being portable, easy to collimate, cheap, good on DSO's and planets, and its comes with a decent finder also :)

Chris

This is exactly the debate Im having with myself right now... 150p or 200p and it looks like the extra 50 quid or so itll cost will be worth it for the 200p

While i Do give you thumbs p for searching and finding this thread - it just might be better to create a new thread then posting in a 1.5+ year old thread n_n

Edit, never mind, mixed up the scopes >_<

Archived