Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding conversion project for 200p and EQ5

Quatermass

Hello all,

Has anyone expiremented with the mod? If so what sort of subs were you getting?

Thanks

Austen... have you read this thread completely ???

There's a link to Stan's thread where he has used the shoestring mod to successfully guide his scope using a laptop - together with sample images

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/169572-woohoo-guiding-eq3-2-a.html

Austin,yes I got the lvi guide camera working in the finder scope the last clear night we had. It needed to be further in and once it was working the camera was almost flush with the end after you unscrew the old finder scope viewing lens section. So using the finder scope as a guide scope will work, I just need to do some diy on the barrel. :D

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Hi Quatermass,

If you haven't ordered the shoestring gpusb then you should take a look at this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/81238-simplegpusb-home-brew-auto-guider.html

It's very easy to make and the build cost comes in at under £10. I hadn't done any soldering at all before attempting this - but even I could do it.

It does require Ascom be installed but you don't need to touch it, just install the Ascom software, the driver software written by Sam and PHD and you're away.

The only issue I've found with this is I can't get it to work on 64bit Windows, I've got it working on my wifes laptop with Vista installed and on an old laptop running XP.

Rob

Great mod there Rob amazing how inventive folk are on this forum. Same old issues with drivers for 64bit windows though. To late I have ordered it already but that's OK I dont want to do any more soldering if I can avoid it. For any one else out there following this thread though that's a great link, so thanks for sharing.

Rother Vally optics offered me a refund on my dual axis kit after hearing about my woes with the LVI guider which was very good of them but I am happy to proceed with the next plan of using laptop webcam and PHDs free guiding software package. :DPHD Guiding

Edited by Quatermass

Many thanks Rob

he he :) yes I have rather been "forced" down the laptop route but maybe that was not such a bad thing in the end. I think a lot of what puts people like me off, is that there are so many different ways to set up a guiding system.

It makes your head spin when your just getting into it, and the idea of an auto-guider had great appeal. But, having just experienced the limitations of an auto-guider set up, I have to say it makes the lap top method much more appealing in the end.

With the addition of longer cables running to the shed I am now considering changing my shed to the QCCU (Quatermass Central Control Unit)

From here all strategic plans of battle will be drawn up and I can keep warm and have a cup of tea and a hobknob while I wait for my astro images to emerge.:(

Safe within the QCCU connected with my RJ12s with my PHD and GPUSB , ST4 and 32 bit OS no one will be able to understand a word I am saying ever again.:D

Edited by Quatermass
  • Like 1

Hi guys, probably what I’m going to say is stupid but wouldn’t it be possible to use the finderscope with say a 3X Barlow and a webcam to manually guide the scope for 10 mins? Wouldn’t that be easier than getting bugged down with the software if the end is to get subs of several minutes? I’m probably saying something stupid but I find this route more appealing than bullying my computer into working with the scope. What is the focal length of the finder?

Hi guys, probably what I’m going to say is stupid but wouldn’t it be possible to use the finderscope with say a 3X Barlow and a webcam to manually guide the scope for 10 mins?

1) unless you have one of the more expensive finderscopes that allow you to use inter-changeable eyepieces (such as the one below)

Finder-TS-12x80-400.jpg

then I'm afraid your suggestion would not work as you can not attach a barlow to the finders that SW use on their scopes

An alternative is to use something like the £150 Altair Astro 10 x 60 shown below which has an illuminated cross-hair and could be used for manual guiding

10x60-Finder_NIK1336_450.jpg

An alternative, assuming QM wanted to go down the manual guiding route would be an off axis guider

1) unless you have one of the more expensive finderscopes that allow you to use inter-changeable eyepieces (such as the one below)

Finder-TS-12x80-400.jpg

then I'm afraid your suggestion would not work as you can not attach a barlow to the finders that SW use on their scopes

An alternative is to use something like the £150 Altair Astro 10 x 60 shown below which has an illuminated cross-hair and could be used for manual guiding

10x60-Finder_NIK1336_450.jpg

An alternative, assuming QM wanted to go down the manual guiding route would be an off axis guider

That sounds interesting. How does the weight of those compare to the standard SW 9X50 finder? We are mounting a 8'' reflector on a EQ5 and the weight of the system is a main concern. Also, do you know the focal length of those finders? Since my eye isn't as precise as a computer, surely there must be a minimum magnification for this to work.

Thanks

Nice one everyone! All this advice is fantastic. The usb interface is going to save me some money. Would you say that the Orion guide scope is worth it or is the finder scope conversion quite simple? Will keep you updated. Im sure it wont be till next week on any changes or mods.

After Malc-c suggested some suitable finder scopes for guiding, I wanted to know more about the Altair Astro he suggested and found this:

Altair 60mm Miniguider with Autoguider Webcam focuser, tube rings, multi-purpose base :: Autoguiding Equipment :: Altair Astro

Anybody tried this? It’s about £150, far cheaper than upgrading the mount to a HEQ5.

If you can use the system to guide manually, you would end up spending the same amount of money than for the EQ5 mod.

Any thoughts?

I would say that converting the finder scope would not be that difficult if you enjoy diy methods. All I need to do with mine is unscrew the main viewing lens and find a way to hold a webcam in place. Some one with a latch could make you a fitting for it or you could make one out of pipes used for plumbing, another challenge for the inventive members of the forum. Thats what I am going to do soon as I get my usb adapter and webcam.

Guys,

I wasn't recommending those scopes.. just using them as examples of what's available on the market. If you want to know the specs of those scopes simply google (other search engines are available) "finderscope" and look at the images...

To be honest I think this thread is going off course... QM has a stock finder, this can be modified to take a web cam using a suitable adapter that is commercially available. The problem QM has / had was that the self contained auto-guiding system he received as a gift required a mount that has a dedicated ST4 port. Regretfully his EQ5 didn't have that, and the £290 for the goto upgrade was out of his budget. He therefore purchased the dual axis motor drive and performed what is known as the Shoestring upgrade to the handset. The problem he now has is that there is a compatibility issue between the autoguider and modification, hence why he is going down the PC and software route.

My apologies for going over old ground and for being party to taking this thread off topic, even though my intention was to try and steer it back on track ! :D

No worry's Malcolm I think others are adding to the thread as we go along. I am glad I did the modification to the Dual Axis kit by adding the ST4 guide port to it but disapointed with the performance of the LVI auto guider. When PHD a free open source bit of software can out perform it in terms of flexiblity and ease of use it really makes you think twice about what your investing your money in.

As soon as my other items arrive the webcam and usb adapter for the guide port I can report on my progress. The LVI was a set back but not the end of the conversion project. Stan has already proved that it works with a web cam and PHD so moving on with that in mind is the right thing to do know. All I need is the adapter and webcam and a clear night and were back out for the next stage. Your input to this thread and helpful suggestions have only added to its value.:D

Ordered my Guide port USB adapter from shoestring astronomy

GpUsb-320x270.jpg

total cost to the uk is 56.28p which is much cheaper then ordering from there UK suppliers who charge 79.80p and 5.00 pp but does include a 5-foot coiled RJ-12 cable normally available seperately. I already have one so dont need it.

Next I need a suitable webcam :D

No worries, seeing as you've been "forced" down the laptop route. Can I also recommend APT www.astroplace.net - APT - Introduction

brilliant piece of software the basic versio is free, and the full version is only a few euros.

I would second APT as an image capture package. Does a fantastic job and the full version is a steal at less than £12.

Hi Austin the uk supplyer the higher price has the longer cable with it just order it from shoestring is easy enough. Not sure which web cam to go for at the moment. Im outside waiting for clouds to clear away :D

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk