Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding conversion project for 200p and EQ5

Quatermass

A further update on the whole set up  a year later.. my my where does all the time go.

I got myself the mount controller ASTROEQ from Tom Carpenter and have ditched the old system in favour of this new one. Running the EQ5 Mount with the ASTROEQ mount controller box I can now use EQMOD and its many features and no longer need an ST4 Port. Simply plug my webcam into my laptop and connect it to phd then connect my mount and gears to EQMOD using the ASTROEQ control box. Perfect solution and I now have a fully working guided system with GO TO capabilities as well. I am still waiting for a cloud free night to test out the guiding system with ASTROEQ mount control box and EQMOD but its is going to be much more stable then my old system and I will of course post my results on here later on.

Here is what the current set up looks like. The only thing missing on the diagram is the 10x50 finder scope with the logitech 4000 webcam in it for guiding this is plugged into the laptop and connected to PHD and then PHD connect to my mounts gears through ASTROEQ and EQMOD allowing me to use pec correction and pulse guiding in EQMOD very cool!

AstroEq+set+up+diagram.jpg

This was my old setup, it worked but I had no "go to" and could not make use of EQMOD and its many features.

Guiding%2520set%2520up%2520complete%2520

• Like 1

Great  post, looks like a nice set-up.

I managed to come across a 350D recently thnx to a very kind deal from a fellow stargazer - i'm quite pleased with it, it's definitely an upgrade from the 300D..

Im interested in the possibility of using it with the laptop -- the 300D wasn't supported by BYEOS or  other astro software , but failing that i'm happy using the remote timer (very useful things aren't they?:) )...

ive had laptop trouble which halted guiding for a while but shouldn't stop me for too long ;)

Aenima 

Hi Aenima, my current set up is so much better then my old one and ASTROEQ is really good. The Canon 350D remains my good old workhorse it does not have live view but you can use it with Backyardeos if you get another cable for it from Astronomisers website to control the shutter with and it works great. Using the remote controller was fine but backyard eos and the cable for my canon 350d is way better giving you framing and focus options would not be without it now. If you have not investigated ASTROEQ I would highly recommend it to you.

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/300d.htm

• Like 1

Thanks QM, it's great to hear the extra '50 in 350D might allow the pc connection that the 300D lacked. I had hoped for focus assist, but not looked into it before now.

I have heard also that the 350D has compatibility issues with anything later than winXP.... might be worth reverting to an earlier OS just for that reason.

ASTROEQ looks at first glance to be mainly for non-goto users, but still a nice piece of DIY :)

Regards

Aenima 

I'm using win 7 and my 350d works fine but there is an issue with 32 bit or 64bit operating system It won't work on 64bit systems I think. ASTROEQ gives non go to users a cheaper alternative and allows you to make full use of eqmod and is very good. For focus I just use a bahtinov mask.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For all of you that have a skywatcher 200p and the EQ5 mount and are considering guiding set ups I am putting this thread up so you can follow my progress. :D

Step 1. Ordered the parts I need first the EQ5 Dual axis kit from Rother Valley Optics they have just got a batch of them in today when I called them this morning. Cost of that is 95.89 total should be with me by Friday.

dual%20motor.jpg

Step 2. Order the Guide port conversion kit for eq style mounts from Optic star total cost 12.60p

Heres the guide port kit

EqKit-320x271.jpg

£108.49p for both the Dual Axis kit and Guide port conversion kit so far. Will update any further costs.

The Plan..

Add the dual axis motor kit then solder on the Guide port so I can then connect my LVI auto guider here is the pdf file (attached) for soldering on the Guide port kit easy to do and straight forward, I have that on good authority from Stan and others on the forum who have done this already.

If you dont have an auto guider you could use a webcam and laptop software as Stan had done with great success.I am using an auto guider because I dont want to use a laptop outside although others are very happy to do that.

For the guide scope I plan to convert my sky watcher 10x50 finder scope to use as the guide scope.

I will keep this thread updated as the parts arrive and let you all know how things work out, wish me luck :)

QM :evil7: Going over to the darker side...

hey what is that white box between ST-4 cable and the other cable that went through hand-controller? is that necessary?

• Like 1

hey guys

is a gpusb connector necessary to connect the ST-4 cable to the laptop or there is another way for that?

can't we connect it through the network port directly?

is there any tutorial to make a gpusb?

Hi Skyshooter, you will need the gpusb connector if you do the mod on the skywatcher dual axis control box as I first did last year, there are a few tutorial out there on the net for making a gpusb but I have not ever made one myself just ordered mine from shoestring astronomy. I know use AstroEQ which does not need a gpusb adapter.

• 2 months later...

because the hand set was modded to have an st4 port but forget all this now there is a much better solution ASTROEQ put it in the search box and catch up on the thread ASTROEQ for eq5 mounts and you will never need to go through all this hassle fun though it was at the time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 6 years later...

Wow! I came back to this post started in 2012 to have a look and realized just how much effort I put into getting that guiding system working on a budget. Its now Dec 2020 but It taught me a great deal and having sold all my gear in 2015 I have now got back into it again having moved house and got some lovely dark skies. Another eq5 mount and 200p has been purchased second hand followed by a 450d Canon camera after getting a 350d first which I will mybe mod later on. An enhanced dual axis kit second hand also to get me started again. Will I do another modded cheap guiding system? Nope just going to save my pennys for a good guide camera and later on upgrade to the synscan kit but hey its all fun to do and this forum is the best. Biggest lesson was learning how to do the processing which I love doing so come on clouds get lost I want to get out there again.

Clear skies QM

• Like 1

On 03/12/2020 at 19:47, Quatermass said:

Wow! I came back to this post started in 2012 to have a look and realized just how much effort I put into getting that guiding system working on a budget. Its now Dec 2020 but It taught me a great deal and having sold all my gear in 2015 I have now got back into it again having moved house and got some lovely dark skies. Another eq5 mount and 200p has been purchased second hand followed by a 450d Canon camera after getting a 350d first which I will mybe mod later on. An enhanced dual axis kit second hand also to get me started again. Will I do another modded cheap guiding system? Nope just going to save my pennys for a good guide camera and later on upgrade to the synscan kit but hey its all fun to do and this forum is the best. Biggest lesson was learning how to do the processing which I love doing so come on clouds get lost I want to get out there again.

Clear skies QM

I was just looking at this thread as I've got a 200p/EQ5, and realised who you were. Just saw you on the FB group you joined the other day too.

Not stalking you honest. 🤣

Although, you now have pretty much the same setup as me 200p/eq5/450d, so I will be keeping an eye on your posts for tips.

8 hours ago, Jm1973 said:

I was just looking at this thread as I've got a 200p/EQ5, and realised who you were. Just saw you on the FB group you joined the other day too.

Not stalking you honest. 🤣

Although, you now have pretty much the same setup as me 200p/eq5/450d, so I will be keeping an eye on your posts for tips.

Good to hear from you again yes I really loved being part of this forum all those years ago and remember doing all this to get a guiding sytem set up. For now I am happy enough to start again with just the eq5 200p and the dual axis kit with the 450d its fun to use this simple set up. But I have no doubt that getting guiding set up really helps get better subs so will be looking to go that route again but this time I will be buying a good camera for guiding as the webcam was ok but not great.

2 hours ago, Quatermass said:

Good to hear from you again yes I really loved being part of this forum all those years ago and remember doing all this to get a guiding sytem set up. For now I am happy enough to start again with just the eq5 200p and the dual axis kit with the 450d its fun to use this simple set up. But I have no doubt that getting guiding set up really helps get better subs so will be looking to go that route again but this time I will be buying a good camera for guiding as the webcam was ok but not great.

I recently bought a USB2 GPCAM2 that I intend to use for guiding at some point. I'm going to try to use the existing 9x50 finderscope, which I think should work.