Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alternative binocular tripod mount

I have some Russian 10x50 binoculars that I'd like to mount on a tripod (my hand shake too much, and also I like an easy way to point them and let OH have a look).

All the binocular mounting adapters I've found assumes there is a threaded hole in the central hinge but I don't even have a hole there.

Is there another way to mount binoculars on a tripod?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

an easy method to help you balance is to use a garden brush to rest on, not sure how you could mount them without the hole for fixing them to a tripod.

Another piece of equipment used by some is.....Astro Engineering The Sky Mirror AC415 mirror binocular mounting although expensive they are very useful if you are not to mobile, again you would need a set of binoculars with a mounting feature to use it.

At least if you decide to upgrade this could be helpful.

hth

If you have deep pockets, there's a Leica tripod adaptor for roof prism binos

Leica Trinovid and Ultravid Tripod Adapter

but I don't recall seeing anything similar for porros. There are centre focus mounts such as the one at the bottom of the page here which FLO can supply:

Opticron - Binocular Tripod Mounts

but that relies on there being a central shaft for the mount to clamp onto (usually only found on bigger porros).

Pete

@Pete, thank's - interesting, but I have neither Leica or Opticron. Mine are by Tento (like these). It says 'made in the USSR' just below the name. I think they were a cheap brand back when I bought them, and they've served me well.

Unfortunately, not only don't they have an axis hole, but there is no gap around the pivot, so the clamp method cannot work either.

@thermos It does look like I'm going to have to make myself something. I love you solution. It's a steady-cam for binoculars. I fear for OH's safety using your method though! It would not be long before she'd be victim of a rapid change of direction. However, I think I can make use of your bungee mounting method - it look quite adaptable to securing to a block of wood that can then be mounted on a tripod.

I do need a tripod method as I want to have something free standing that won't move after I've aligned it. That way OH has a chance to see what I'm looking at.

Are you sure the front hinge cover with the serial number on does not unscrew revealing a mounting thread ?

I think I should kick myself. :)

There are two caps. A cap with the serial number I knew about. It reveals what I though was a part of the hinge assembly, but on closer inspection I noticed two holes. They are really clear on the photo below, so I don't know why I didn't see them before. This is actually a second cap that needs a tool to remove - I improvised with the ends of some needle nosed pliers. After providing enough force this cap unscrews to revel the mounting hole.

bin-1.jpgbin-2.jpg

problem solved :)

So I thought too - but the thread is wrong. It does not match the binocular adaptor bracket I have. It's clearly a finer thread in the binoculars, but I don't have a thread gauge handy to measure it.

What thread is the USSR likely to have used? Clearly not 1/4" UNC.

So I thought too - but the thread is wrong. It does not match the binocular adaptor bracket I have. It's clearly a finer thread in the binoculars, but I don't have a thread gauge handy to measure it.

What thread is the USSR likely to have used? Clearly not 1/4" UNC.

Aaa sorry to read that. Seems it is not to be perhaps, there may be some more help here on the forum if you check in the DIY section. Might be worth it as a few members have been kind enough to help with all sorts from what I have seen.

Aaa sorry to read that. Seems it is not to be perhaps, there may be some more help here on the forum if you check in the DIY section. Might be worth it as a few members have been kind enough to help with all sorts from what I have seen.

Thanks, Alan, and everyone else who helped. This does look like a little DIY project now. It should be easy to make something that will adapt my existing tripod mount to fit if I can find the right bolt.

• 2 weeks later...

check this out if it has uploaded.?? yes it did, the legs extend to standing hight

from child to adult. mirror tilts and bino pans left and right on the yolk of

a modifyed telescope tripod. insted of looking up you look down into the

mirrors reflection. confortable, steady and easy to use.

post-31630-133877729234_thumb.jpg

!!!

Well said. That just look so wrong.

Pete, the clamp looks interesting, but I'd worry that it would not grip well enough and the bins would at some time pop out and end up on the ground from a rather high height. Anyone tried this type? Are they more secure than the look?

ahh, i can see your worry but the zip ties that hold the binos

thead thru the center beside the focus wheel, was an experiment

for further mods but turned out a very good capture for the bino,

plus if i want the binos off just cut the zips and off you go.

it all got put together in less than one hour in the shed, and as they say if it aint broken dont fix it.

more pics of it on my profile.

I have a mirror mount myself, the Binoflex ST50 (google it). Are you using a front surface mirror? If not, you'll be seeing double stars everywhere. I've had problems with the mirror surface dewing up so I put a heater pad under it (resistors feeding off 12V DC). Also, your mirror is very far from the binoculars and so is much larger than it needs to be.

So I thought too - but the thread is wrong.
Just noticed this. The reason the thread is wrong is that it is not a mounting thread. It's part of what holds the binocular hinge together; you remove that peg-spanner piece as part of dismantling the binocular -- you may find that, with it removed, you can "focus" the eyepieces completely clear of the binocular! :icon_salut:
Pete, the clamp looks interesting, but I'd worry that it would not grip well enough and the bins would at some time pop out and end up on the ground from a rather high height.
Only if you don't use it properly. To satisfy your peace of mind, either go into a decent photo shop and try one, or get one via "distance selling" and return it within the 7-day grace period if you think it is unsuitable.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Just came across this thread as I have just acquired some Tento 10 X 50 bins.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to remove the cap with the serial number.  Is it a screw thread, or should it 'pop' off?  Any suggestions for a tool so on accomplish this, so I would like to be able  to mount them somehow - they are pretty heavy for me. Many thanks.

Archived