SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Alternative binocular tripod mount

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, no. The didn't say exactly why, other than that they had done a little research and were very sorry.  I did see this other device but I cannot work out how it would connect to the  bins.  I have been trying to upload a pic of the Tento, but can't make the file small enough!

I've made several binocular mirror-mounts and can vouch for their stability and comfort of use. Making one doesn't have to be expensive. I used wood and bought first surface mirrors from www.scientificmirrors.co.uk .

You would need a 6-inch mirror for the 10X50 bins. Get the saw and Black & Decker out and have a go. You could probably knock one up for £25, as I did.

Do you have a pic of one of these constructions? DIY is not my best skill, so I am not hopeful it will work for me.  On the other hand, there is someone about the house who could do it, but will curse me yet again for my new hobby!

On 04/26/2016 at 10:04, BinocularSky said:

Curious. Did they say why? Another alternative might be this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opticron-Centre-Binocular-Tripod-Binoculars/dp/B008FM10OA

I can vouch for this little piece of kit, which I got on Steve's recommendation. I use it on my Carl Zeiss 10x50W's, and in fact leave it attached all the time, as it still allows the binos to go back in their case no problem.

Mark

I can certainly see how the Manfrotto thingy (technical term) would work - thank you.  The Opticron, I cannot work out, so if there is a piccie anywhere of it attached to bins, I would be grateful.  I will have to look out for second hand I think as I still need to buy a tripod and adaptor.  Just keen to work out the whole solution first so I buy the right stuff. Many thanks again.

35 minutes ago, Merlin said:

They help as long as they permit users to close the binoculars to their  interpupillary distance.

Ah. Me being unclear. My post was a response to Bramble's query about a piccie of the Opticron hinge clamp.

In response to your comment, on the Frank-Nipoles in the images, the limit to the minimum IPD is stops on the hinge, not the hinge clamp.

Archived