Illuminated Polar Scopes

The NEQ6 and HEQ5 have built in illuminated polar scopes. The EQ5 clone that came with the Phenix refractor also has an illuminated polarscope.

I am not sure if you can get bolt-on ones though.

The NEQ6 and HEQ5 have built in illuminated polar scopes. The EQ5 clone that came with the Phenix refractor also has an illuminated polarscope.

I am not sure if you can get bolt-on ones though.

The HEQ5 non-goto does not have an illuminated one, however where there's a will ....

post-23057-133877721395_thumb.jpg

The HEQ5 non-goto does not have an illuminated one, however where there's a will ....

[ATTACH]77881[/ATTACH]

Is that the advanced version of poking a red torch down the end of the polar scope barrel, or is it more subtle than that?

James

Could you not use the finder normally and then an illuminated EP in the scope?

James

It's not for alignment. I want it for making it easier to get the object of interest visible in the eyepiece. I find it difficult sometimes to tell if the object is in the centre of the crosshairs in the finder. I would like to use a higher power eyepiece from the start rather than start with a lower power one and then change up. I am very lazy and hate changing eyepieces, but don't get on with zooms.

It's not that big a deal and I don't think I would actually buy one (at the price they would have to be) now I have some wider aFOV EP's but I think it would be nice.

I wonder if a similar solution could be made to work for my EQ3-2 polar scope. It's a pig to align even using the "red torch" method because it's very hard to get sufficient light to be able to see the alignment rings whilst still being able to make out Polaris. Usually I end up flicking the torch down the tube and away again whilst trying to align the star but that often seems to result in less than optimal alignment.

James

With my EQ3-2, I hold a red torch shining into my palm and along my fingers, then poke just the tip of my finger over the polarscope hole on top of the mount. You get just enough reflected red light to see the reticule markings but without getting blinded or blocking the view.

It's on one of the handset menus. I am afraid I can't remember which one and I can't find my Synscan manual just now :) When I got my mount the polarscope illumination was on and set to 100% so it was so bright you couldn't see polaris through it. I dropped it down to 4% and now it's much better.

It's on one of the handset menus. I am afraid I can't remember which one and I can't find my Synscan manual just now :) When I got my mount the polarscope illumination was on and set to 100% so it was so bright you couldn't see polaris through it. I dropped it down to 4% and now it's much better.

Hi Rick!

Very many thanks for that info! Next time I'm out with this mount I'll look for it.

Cheers

Max

I made one ,did a bit of fancy soldering (for me) i put a on and off switch on the battery holder plus a dimmer switch.I found at full power it was too bright and was washing polaris out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived