Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" moon filter worth it?

Manok101

I guess it's a personal thing but I've never felt the need to use a moon filter. My eye seems to adjust to the brightness pretty quickly and I'd rather not put any more glass in the optical path than necessary.

I appreciate that others do use them which is why I think it's a personal thing.

Hi

I, like John never use em. But some find them invaluable, best to see what camp you are in before spending money.

Try observing with your 2" eyepieces first, then make your call.

Remember they will make no difference to contrast or detail it's just a comfort thing.

Regards Steve

I have 2 moon filters in 2" and always feel the need to use one or both :-)

I picked them both up for just over a fiver from astroboot

One is fixed and one is variable

I don't like the variable much as the reduction always seems to low but the fixed is stronger and gets used each time I view the moon

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I have 1.25 and 2 inch ND filters and I use them both for the moon and Jupiter, as both are very bright to look at for any amount of time (otherwise I am left with a green / purple disc in my vision). In the wide-field eyepiece I can see the moon beautifully and in comfort with the ND attached, definitely worth the money for me.

Make sure you get one appropriate for your telescope as they come in varying strengths, the nice chaps at FLO should be able to advise you.

Archived