Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 1000d quick setting help

paulhutch

I've managed to bag a bargain (£200) for the entry level DSLR. Now I'd like to connect it to my 12 inch dob for some basic AP, planets and star trails etc etc. Is there a quick setting I can get started on before I have to trawl through the 150 page manual? It has a M setting and a full auto setting but when using this mode on my point and shoot I get nowhere. Thanks in advance and sorry for the cloudy skies tonight! (Inevitable as I've bought new gear)

The camera has to be in manual mode. Change the ISO settings upwards (800 or 1600), select your exposure length of 1-30sec (or bulb for a user defined length via laptop control), try that and see how you get on.

You will have to find a way of firing the shutter without touching the camera, so you may need a shutter release cable or use the USB cable that comes with it, using EOSutils (on the disc that comes with it) to caputre and store your images.

Star trails, as mentioned above...... Planetary or lunar imaging you'd be better getting the little freeware app that allows the 1000d to be used as a video camera I think. Cant remeber what it is called just now.... will get back to you.

Gary

The 1000D is a great DSLR for astro. Never tried it on a dob though, but I have seen some great moon shots.

In M mode, if you press the left arrow button on the back it brings up the shutter release timer. You can set a 2sec or 10sec delay before the shutter fires so it gives a bit of time to settle after pressing the shutter button. 2sec seems fine.

Thanks Rik, I've just ordered the remote shutter release wired controller from Ebay so until that arrives I'll use the 2 second delay. I got some stunning afocal pictures from the dob with just a point and shoot so I'll post my results on here when we have a clear night.

Archived