NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sh2-190 HST Pallette and variations...

AndyUK

Over the late summer / early autumn I managed to capture 12 panes of Ha on IC1805 with the MN190/314L+ (about 40 hrs worth :)). I also managed to capture a single night of OIII data on Sh2-190 and merged that with the Ha mosaic to get first a HOO, and then an H(synthesized G)O image...

Over the 4 sessions I've managed in December and January, I've started capturing a 4 pane SII mosaic, but this time with the Equinox 80 (call me lazy, but I couldn't face another 40 hrs with the MN190, followed by another 40hrs for the OIII :)). Although I've only got 2 complete SII panes and 2 half panes, I thought I'd have a go at putting them altogether using the HST Pallette (which I'm hoping I'll be able to do when I've finished the SII and got a similar 4 pane mosaic this coming autumn).

It's fairly noisy (mostly due to my clumsy processing I'm sure, but also the incomplete SII), but as it's my first HST image, I wanted to post it up for comment. It's not as sharp as I would like, but I'm hoping that on the finished mosaic the resolution wil be more forgiving (only another 25 hrs to go... :)). I'd quite like to try and put a "Hockney" style image together for this, but I need a 4th colour map combo - Any suggestions?

post-18819-133877720402_thumb.jpg

post-18819-133877720412_thumb.jpg

post-18819-133877720419_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much Guy! Even though I'm now reverting to the Equinox 80 for the rest of the panes, I have a feeling this will end up being a total of 90 odd hours by the time I've finished... I shall be so pleased to put this one to bed...!

Lovely set there Andy, I think that they have all come out very well. The colours in the Hubble palette have come out well. I know that this turned into a real pain, and still more to come, but you can be mighty pleased with how this has turned out.

I'm with Nadeem with a strong preference for the synthetic green option. That looks the most natural to me and really is a beauty, combining natural looking colour wth the exquisite detail and contrasts of narrowband.

It's worth the effort trying to do somethng special. These instantly showed their quality and then truly rewarded a closer look. A standing ovation from SE France!

Olly

Thanks very much all... I must admit, I too favour the synthetic green version, although I was very happy to get my first HST pallette image out - At least I know roughly what to do to get the general colours more or less looking right (for anyone interested, I used this link as a guide - Creating Hubble Palette Color Mapped Images).

As soon as I'd captured the first SII pane, I realised I should have started taken the OIII channel first so that I could have maybe produced a full H/synthetic G/O of the whole thing this season as opposed to waiting for next, but as I didn't want to get confused I thought It best to finish the SII first...

I think they look a lot better in this thumbnails layout on this page than actually going into each separate image though, but again, hopefully the full mosaic version will provide the resolution to hide one or two slightly dodgy areas!

Cheers again all :D - It looks as though the vote is most definitely on the H(G)O then (I wish I'd captured the full OIII mosaic first now instead of the SII - Oh well...)

Nadeem - You're not too far off - My "Astro budget holder" needs to see results to allow me to spend more without moaning. For what it's worth, she likes the HST Pallette, but that doesn't really matter - As long as she likes one of them, then that's okay... :D

Martin - This "project" has certainly given me plenty of practice at framing and re-framing... and also meridian flipping and re-re-reframing after that, although it has made me wonder how much easier life would be with AstroArt 5 and plate solving :).

Werner - Hmmmm... It was actually that website that "inspired" me to try out different colour mapping. I've sort of had a go at tone mapping on some "borrowed" NB subs, but the result certainly wasn't as pretty as the examples on that site - It all looked rather blotchy afterwards, but as there's nothing but cloud, wind and rain forecast, maybe it's time for another go... Thanks for reminding me!

Archived