Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Next Televue guidance please?

kirkster501

Hello,

With my 11 inch scope which TV should get next please? I have a Pan 35mm and a Nagler 17mm. I was looking at a 13mm Nag but not sure there would be that much between that and my 17mm. On the other hand, if I went for a Nag 9 or 7 I'd be concerned it would live in my EP case never getting used under UK skies.

Planetary is my number one thing..... I like TV and want to stick with them.

Many thanks and regards, Steve

Another thought.... I could get the 12mm and also the 2 x Powermate ? That would Barlow the Naglers to 6mm and 8.5mm.... What about that? Then I'd have 17, 12, 8.5, 6...... Would the 12mm work in 2" mode?

Is the PMate really a free ride like this other than dropping a little brightness?

Thanks for the advice :)

Steve

I took delivery of a 2" PM at the start of the week and although i haven't had the chance to use it yet i will say that its a mighty nice piece of kit. The t4 Naglers have the 2" skirt so will work in 2" mode. It would certainly give you a nice spread of magnifications.

I'm moving towards using barlows rather than short focal length eyepieces myself - much cheaper and, as you say, you don't end up with eyepieces that sit in the case because they give too much mag for most conditions.

I'm far from the most experienced observer on this forum, but I can see very little difference between eyepiece/barlow combinations and dedicated eyepieces (many of which do, after all, contain barlow elements within them).

I have also owned a TV powermate and a TV barlow and I can see no difference between the two visually. In fact I've seen at least one article on the net from an experienced planetary observer who thought the barlow gave better results. The powermate does preserve the same eye-relief though.

Tim

Another thought.... I could get the 12mm and also the 2 x Powermate ? That would Barlow the Naglers to 6mm and 8.5mm.... What about that? Then I'd have 17, 12, 8.5, 6...... Would the 12mm work in 2" mode?

Is the PMate really a free ride like this other than dropping a little brightness?

Thanks for the advice :)

Steve

Putting the 12mm in a x2 powermate will give you x466 and the 17mm + powermate x329, can't really see either of those powers getting much use unless you move to the desert.

I would go for something in between what you have already rather than pushing for higher magnification get an ep that will give you a 2mm exit pupil and a power around x100 this combined with you 11" aperture will be excellent for DSO observing. A 26T5 Nagler, 22T4 Nagler or an Ethos 21, personally I'd go for the Ethos.

Moving to the desert may be a cheaper option than the 21mm Ethos. ?

:):D:D

The 21mm Ethos would be lovely. I have the 26mm Nagler and it is a stunning eyepiece. It would leave your 35mm Panoptic sort of redundant though as the tfov are almost the same.

:):D:D

The 21mm Ethos would be lovely. I have the 26mm Nagler and it is a stunning eyepiece. It would leave your 35mm Panoptic sort of redundant though as the tfov are almost the same.

Swap the 35 Pan for a 41 and there's your low power ep, 21 and 17 mm for DSO's and maybe a 12 mm for planetary / high power, sorted. Only problem will cost you £££'s.

Sorry for banging on...

Telescope Reviews: Nagler 17T4 with a Powermate 2x ??

Discusses this. The PM2 and the Nag17 gets a very good write up.

Nereid, you may want to look at this option mate? Could it render the purchase of a 12mm obsolete? Sure there is the weight issue but that can be corrected relatively easily.

Steve

Nereid, you may want to look at this option mate? Could it render the purchase of a 12mm obsolete? Sure there is the weight issue but that can be corrected relatively easily.

Steve

I don't see how as the 17mm will Barlow to give an equivalent to an 8.5mm which is nowhere near a 12mm

Plus the 12mm will itself Barlow to give 6mm.

Still think a 12mm will fit into my collection nicely, on those rare nights then maybe just maybe I could use it with the powermate. I just hope i do not have balance issues using the powermate and the nagler

Still think a 12mm will fit into my collection nicely, on those rare nights then maybe just maybe I could use it with the powermate. I just hope i do not have balance issues using the powermate and the nagler

Agreed Nereid. I am getting a 12mm and the PM when i get paid.

Archived