Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 150PL owners. Tips and Mods

Hi All

I thought i would start this thread for us 150PL users to use to share any tips, modifications, equipment advice specific to our scope.

The 150PL is a bit out of the ordinary, what with it having a longer focal length than other scopes of a similar aperture.

Ask questions here, post your modifications, pictures, tips etc.

cheers

Chris

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've done a few things to mine, not so much modifications but some tweeking. I've gotten rid of almost all declination wobble on the EQ3-2 mount if anyone's interested in that.

I am! :)

To reduce overall wobble, I was thinking about hanging some form of weight within tripod...anyone tried that? In my mind it seems to work!

I went straight for the EQ5 so dont experience this. I flocked my OTA 2 weeks after purchasing it and then took ages getting it collimated again.

I am so pleased with it as a scope, so glad i chose it over the "common" 150P :)

i have the 5mm bst - i have not done it justice yet as my garden is quite light polluted, and the standard focuser just isnt up to the job.

Once i have my 2 speed focuser i will get out into the dark site i have earmarked and give it a thorough test. Currently the 5mm is just beyond the limit - but in the right conditions should be great (but the maximum it will go i think)

i have the 5mm bst - i have not done it justice yet as my garden is quite light polluted, and the standard focuser just isnt up to the job.

Once i have my 2 speed focuser i will get out into the dark site i have earmarked and give it a thorough test. Currently the 5mm is just beyond the limit - but in the right conditions should be great (but the maximum it will go i think)

I was also considering a 2-speed focuser, but instead opted for the auto-focuser (not actually 'auto'!)...it's brilliant. No wobble at all when fine focusing and is very very precise...more so, I predict, then a 2-speed crayford. And only £40.

Right, there's two issues that clicky up and down backlash wobble on the EQ3, first thing is that the Dec head isn't tightly enough attached to the point where you can feel movement when you pull it. The thing you thing you want to do first is to tighten the nut on the top but it doesn't do the job, it only stiffens movement and the slop is still there.

IMAG0544-1.jpg

What you do is remove the polar scope objective cover and get a "5/16" spanner in there on the head of the bolt that holds it on. You then turn the whole Dec assembly clockwise until it doesn't rock. This shouldn't be too tight and this is one step of a a tinker so you may need to come back and slacken or loosen it.

The second adjustment point for backlash is the housing for the worm gear on the Dec head. First thing is to use an allen key to loosen the grub screw, the picture shows where this is. Then get an allen key and tighten the silver tightening bolts, giving each a wee bit at a time to make sure they're level, then tighten the grub screw.

This one is a proper tinker since you may need to loosen one and tighten the other to get the correct balance. The rull of thumb is that the tightening bolts reduce backlash and the grub reduces pressure on the worm gear so the slow motion controls move freely and aren't too tight.

IMAG0261-1.jpg

Once you've done that you might want to go back to the first step and have a wee tinker again.

Also, since you're basically messing with the bolts that hold it all together you could take it apart and give the moving parts a clean and re-grease with lithium grease if you have it but even Vaseline is better than the grease that Synta use.

Hope that helps you guys!

I went straight for the EQ5 so dont experience this. I flocked my OTA 2 weeks after purchasing it and then took ages getting it collimated again.

I am so pleased with it as a scope, so glad i chose it over the "common" 150P :)

How did you find flocking the tube. I really fancy doing it but what's putting me off is the fact that it's long and narrow.

Hi PM. I had planned to flock it straight away so i got the stuff from FLO - 2 lots required.

I used this article: Flocking a Newtonian - How To

stripping the tube down was quite straight forward, the tricky bit was getting the flocking correctly positioned in the tube. the first bit i put at the spider end, you need to take your time and peel it on and off frequently as you go round to keep aligning it and avoiding bubbles. i still had the odd one or two, but nothing a sharp blade cant sort out.

The hardest bit was the the 2nd piece as this was in the middle of the tube, just take your time and eventually it goes where you want it.

The 3rd piece is in 2 halves due to the size of the rolls, but its fine as its deep inside the tube so you dont see the extra seam. it is easier to do as its a shorter length as well.

Then its just a case of cutting out all the holes again (using a v-sharp craft knife) and put everything back.

It took a while to collimate (just needed the secondary mirror aligning again) and all sorted.

On one really good night I got some cracking views with a 6mm Celestron Omni Plossl in a 2x barlow if that's any help. 6mm almost always is on most clear nights variable on quality vs seeing. I'd say 6mm is the limit.

That said, I don't have any "decent" eyepieces.; err on the side of caution, get a 10mm and a decent barlow and see what that looks like.

Here is the list of mods i want to do on my baby:

Dual speed focuser

Auto focusing

Motorize the mount (RA & Dec)

Right angle finder scope

Maybe if i'm feeling flush, change the mirror cell so i can add a cooling fan.

Other accessories i want:

EP's:

8mm & 15mm BST explorer

12.5mm & 18mm Baadar std

24mm Baadar Hyperion

TAL 2x barlow

Baadar UHC-S filter

Phillips webcam (flashed)

need to save my pennies up though :)

Here is the list of mods i want to do on my baby:

Dual speed focuser

Auto focusing

Motorize the mount (RA & Dec)

Right angle finder scope

Maybe if i'm feeling flush, change the mirror cell so i can add a cooling fan.

Other accessories i want:

EP's:

8mm & 15mm BST explorer

12.5mm & 18mm Baadar std

24mm Baadar Hyperion

TAL 2x barlow

Baadar UHC-S filter

Phillips webcam (flashed)

need to save my pennies up though :)

I would say my want list is very similar! Already have the auto-focuser and highly recommend it. Next planned pruchase is the single-axis RA motor, won't be bothering with the Dec. May flock at some point.

Got the 15mm BST on order, hopefully arrive Monday, on the waiting list for the 8mm and may go for the 18mm at some point too! Received the Vixen NPL 30mm yesterday, so will be giving that a go later tonight if it stays clear. Fingers crossed!

I'm tempted by the Phillips webcam. Bought the xbox live webcam last week (£5 off eBay), just need to get round to modding it and will have a go with that before I spend £70 on the Phillips.

Archived