NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 150PL owners. Tips and Mods

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've contacted a few suppliers and nobody's willing to crack open a packet and measure it for me. I've not tried 365 so I might give them a go in the morning.

Any joy?

Quiet on here! I expected things to be a little busier since it seems there many of us who own this scope! And ChrisThePuma who started it seems to have disappeared entirely! :icon_salut:

No joy at all.

I asked First Light but they weren't much help. The website says they're in stock but they must ship from OVL since they told me they didn't have them there. There's not really many others to choose from since not many people stock the 190MN focuser, likely because they don't sell base plates to match and don't want you going elsewhere. I've still not tried 356 yet but I had a paypal issue when I used them and I don't want them going "god, it's him again!":D

I removed the focuser, marked out the markings for the new baseplate, though but since it's stalled I've cut out the hole on the masking tape and put the stock focuser back over the top of the tape.

Hi All

sorry for my absence - things get on top of me every now and again.

Well - my focuser saga rolls on. After being sent the wrong one twice - direct from the supplier (it turns out they did this for lots of people) i have eventually been sent one from the RVO shop, but it wont fit as promised. the thing was supposed to fit straight on but no it will not. Looks like i will now send this back and go with the setup that i linked to near the start of this thread - but withour checking i suspect its the same focuser that you are trying to source PM?

anyhow - no sky watching tonight - far too many clouds about! :)

cheers

chris

That's the one. I got mine from 365astronomy.com but Modern Astronomy have them as well. The focuser in question is this one... First Light Optics - Dual-speed Crayford focuser for Skywatcher 190MN it's £30 cheaper since it doesn't have a base plate. I saw a thread where one was fitted to a 150PL using the above base plate but I just want to double check since the focuser does cost what at the minute is more than a week's wage. The hole in the baseplate is 78mm, this focuser ... First Light Optics - Dual-speed Crayford 1.25/2 inch focuser for Skywatcher Explorer is apparently 79.5 and listed as specifically not fitting the baseplate by TS.

I have a 150P, not PL, but i changed the focuser to a Revelation Dual speed crayford. The base plate that came with it was suited to 8" plus tubes. I had suppected this was the case, so had planned on buying a replacement from Scopes n' Skies astro boot, cheap as chips at the time, but unfortunately they had taken the site offline for months. I ended up getting the one you seemed to have linked to from Telescope Service. When it arrived I found that the diameter of the central hole was 1-2mm too small. Luckily a guy at my astro club is a retired engineer with a lathe in his shed, opened the dia. by 1mm.

P.s. One week after buying the focuser from Telescope house they reduced the price from £90 to 60. Ahhgg

regards,

Uplooker

• 2 weeks later...

Quick tips, from the "common" 150P : )

When I bought flocking material from FLO it came in a cardboard tube.

The white caps on the end of the tube fit perfectly over the focuser tube. If you drill a small hole dead centre its the ideal target for barlowed laser collimation.

Add a little tab of sellotape so you can remove it easily without touching the secondary.

http://www.cameraconcepts.com/barlowed%20laser%20collimation.pdf

I also took the time to sand down the flat section of the focuser to remove slop as presented by harry here:

Filling the legs of the tripod with sand worked wonders too.

As did a full strip down and rebuild of the EQ3-2

http://stargazerslounge.com/2166383-post1.html

About two years ago nearly that happened. A lot of the main retailers started listing the 150PL as "New version with 1.25"/2" dual speed Crayford" around November last year but quickly stopped, likely because it didn't have one.

Cements the point that the 150PL is a very different beast and not just another flavour.

Ahh sorry, I'd assumed from the websites that the 150PLs also had the same focuser.

The 150P one is nice, and it can be upgraded to dual speed for about £50 which isn't half bad.

Lacerta 1:10 micro transmission for Skywatcher Crayford focusers

I'd really like to install a fan onto mine, is there a reasonably cheap solution for this, I guess the 150P and PL have the same kind of primary mirror assembly.

Ok, i'm back again :-)

Well it turns out that the focuser i ordered didnt "retro fit" as advised by both FLO and RVO so it went back for a refund. (i know you told me i wouldnt but hey!)

Instead i am now going down exactly the road johninderby took and have ordered the same focuser and baseplate as he lists here: http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/119323-fitting-2-focuser-skywatcher-150pl-newt-ota.html

not looking forward to drilling lots of holes in my lovely scope, but i am sure it will be worth it in the long run.

cheers

Chris

johninderby

Well today I finally got off my backside and flocked. I've had the stuff for months and just couldn't face it.

It started because I wanted a shot of my new 25mm X-Cell LX eyepiece so I was out while it was still getting dark looking at the moon with it. I got totally engrossed and never saw the rain clouds come along behind me so I ended up grabbing everything and running in. A bit dodgy when your mount is mains powered.

Anyway, rained off and it's still light so I just thought stuff it and got on in.

I did the middle bit first and it's a wee bit wrinkly in a couple of places. I tried my best to get it right but couldn't and you really can't see it looking down so I seriously doubt it makes any difference.

I found it easiest when the bits were 25cm wide and full circumference long so that might be an option for others.

All in all I'm very happy with it. The weather's really annoying me since in the last wee while I've been bit by bit got an xbox controller for EQMOD, a second dovetail bar fitted, a new eyepiece, a decent and working 3m USB cable, sorted out some cable management strategies so nothing catches.... And I've really used none of it!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, i have the focusser, i have the baseplate, i have removed the end rim, spider, focusser and poised to start - then realise that the bolts are too short for the new baseplate - just ordered them so should be good to start the mod tomorrow :-)

Bolts just arrived. I ordered M4 countersunk allen bolts. I got 16mm and 20mm as i wasnt sure how long i would need.

These: M4 Stainless Steel Bolts; Countersunk Allen Screws | eBay

just choose your length and quantity - i ordered in the evening and got them by mid day the following day.

What are they for?

EDIT, Ah, helps to read up. Duh.

Archived