Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 150PL owners. Tips and Mods

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheers, fella!

It's the Philips SPC 880, a Baader IR/UV cut filter and the cruddy 2x Barlow that came with the 150PL. I'll confess that the top two were on the EQ6, though.

How much difference does the EQ6 make then? My auto-focuser has reduced focus wobble almost completely, but I'm still suffering from a fair amount of wobble while manually tracking and when the wind picks up.

Also, how are you finding viewing DSOs with the 150PL? I've been viewing M31 and M1 this evening with the Vixen NPL 30mm I purchased last week and while I can definitely see them, it's very much just a very faint smudge. I'm finding myself already considering an upgrade to a bigger mirror! :)

DSO's are a challenge but I;m willing to try a few things before going for a bigger mirror, namely filters and longer eyepieces.

The EQ6 made a world of difference. You can fiddle with the focuser and it won't visibly move on a 15mm. You get some vibration at anything higher, though. That said, that was my impression when using a Helios branded 150P and EQ3 with motor drives.

On the EQ3 the wobble was the legs. I've heard of people opening them up and filling them with sand. The EQ6 is totally solid, if you knock the mount you get nothing, knock the OTA and you get a little vibration, that's how solid it is with a 150PL

I just received 2 more rolls by mistake - have spoken to Martin and he is arranging for them to go back - i have flocking coming out of my ears :)

Good luck with the flocking PM.

Cheers, mate. I gave the tube rings a go just to see what the stuff was like to use. Quite quietly confident I can manage now. I've ordered a focuser base plate from 365astronomy, when/if that turns up I'll give FLO a ring to see if the 190MN focuser fits it which I can't see it not since Johninderby used it.

Well it came - but - they sent the wrong one. They sent the low profile one that fits the larger scopes. The screw holes are much further apart meaning a re-drill would be required so unfortunately it has to go back.

Was really looking forward to adding this over the weekend, especially as it might actually be a clear night tonight.

Oh well...

Well it came - but - they sent the wrong one. They sent the low profile one that fits the larger scopes. The screw holes are much further apart meaning a re-drill would be required so unfortunately it has to go back.

Was really looking forward to adding this over the weekend, especially as it might actually be a clear night tonight.

Oh well...

The focuser you linked to is a 2" focuser, so would defo need a re-drill and the hole enlarging...I actually don't think there is a 1.25" 2-speed crayford focuser that would fit to our 150PLs is there?

Yes - the one i linked to "retro fits" straight onto the 150. Same screw holes and main hole - i checked with FLO and RVO before buying. :icon_salut:

The 150 isn't the 150PL, though, that's the issue. The current stock focuser on the 150P is a 2" Single speed Crayford.

Hi PM. I had planned to flock it straight away so i got the stuff from FLO - 2 lots required.

I used this article: Flocking a Newtonian - How To

stripping the tube down was quite straight forward, the tricky bit was getting the flocking correctly positioned in the tube. the first bit i put at the spider end, you need to take your time and peel it on and off frequently as you go round to keep aligning it and avoiding bubbles. i still had the odd one or two, but nothing a sharp blade cant sort out.

The hardest bit was the the 2nd piece as this was in the middle of the tube, just take your time and eventually it goes where you want it.

The 3rd piece is in 2 halves due to the size of the rolls, but its fine as its deep inside the tube so you dont see the extra seam. it is easier to do as its a shorter length as well.

Then its just a case of cutting out all the holes again (using a v-sharp craft knife) and put everything back.

It took a while to collimate (just needed the secondary mirror aligning again) and all sorted.

Just a (possibly) helpful hint for potential flockers out there.

Once you start adding flocking it gets pretty dark inside the tube & can be real tricky to see what you are doing.

I've found it easiest to start in the middle & work to the ends, whilst the ends still reflect a degree of light. Just a thought.

Yes - the one i linked to "retro fits" straight onto the 150. Same screw holes and main hole - i checked with FLO and RVO before buying. :icon_salut:

Just to check, measure the diameter of the inner focuser tube on the unit they've sent you and compare it to the diameter of the existing hole in the 150pl that this tube needs to pass through...I suspect you'll find that the hole is too small.

Oh well...

Did you get this resolved, Chris?

After nearly two week my TS baseplate just got dispatched. You can't blame 365 at all since paypal decided to play silly buggers with the transaction and none after it and only decided to fix it yesterday.

anyway, looking forward to getting it to measure up a focuser.

Archived