Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 19th Janurary

Clayton

I almost went back to bed after looking at the "average" seeing as I was fairly tired, but decided to give it a go in any case to experiment with some different CODEC's as I had been struggling with colour balance on Mars Polar Cap. I also added an IR cut filter which really helped in this respect :)

The colour CODEC really did nothing useful IMO.

I will post a comparison later as I am too busy ATM :D

This shot has been resampled 200%

C&C welcomed

post-16237-133877719651_thumb.jpg

Thanks Neil,

I was at 5.72m (f28.6)

Only 1/2 of your setup :D but I think I would have to sacrifice the shutter speed (1/61sec) and so the frame rate (60fps) to 30fps if I pushed much harder? in any case the seeing was not so good. If it were better I would try pushing much harder.

Super image Rob! I tried the by8 codec with unspecified the other day on Jupiter which produces a colour image at the same file size as y800 y800 though the avi wont work with vdub or pipp. Have you got the latest version of IC Capture as the 1/60 setting works with 60fps.

A nice capture despite average seeing conditions. With such a small target i would imagine it to be difficult to obtain a good image. I have experienced first hand with a big target like Jupiter how different seeing conditions can make so much difference between capturing an image that you are happy with and an image that makes you ask yourself why you bothered. I have yet to try Mars myself but if i can manage an image half as good as yours i would be happy.:)

Thanks Zul, and Thanks Oldfruit, You should be able to do similar work (200mm aperture, and the Toucam) if things were in your favour, unfortunately for you Brit's Mars is quite low I believe and Saturn even lower?? this time round.

I would encourage you to give it a go in any case, if you get lucky you could still end up with some very nice shots.

I have every intention of "giving it a go":D. You are right in saying that they are quite low this time around. As always, work seems to come first and call me a lightweight, but the early mornings are not that appealing at the moment, though i am guilty of spending a moment or two looking with the naked eye in the early mornings on my way to work, wishing i was out with the scope imaging.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Super image Rob! I tried the by8 codec with unspecified the other day on Jupiter which produces a colour image at the same file size as y800 y800 though the avi wont work with vdub or pipp. Have you got the latest version of IC Capture as the 1/60 setting works with 60fps.

PIPP v1.3 does now support the BY8 codec. I like the way the BY8 codec works and may start using it as standard with my DFK instead of the Y800 codec.

Details of the PIPP website can be found here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-software/173325-pipp-planetary-imaging-pre-processor-software.html

Cheers,

Chris

Archived