Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Trapezium Is 'Bagged' A-F Stars

EntropyStar

After watching Dr universe on the beeb I went outside to continue where I'd left off at the weekend. Last night I finally bagged the last star available to amateurs (so we're told) in Theta Orionis...I got the ellusive F star. A little challenge from my location (Oxfordshire) but defo there, the glare from the C star makes it tough. I'd compare the F stars faintness in comparison to the C star as like Rigel and it's companion. The F star is actually a tiny bit brighter than the E star but the glare from the C star (I found) made it harder to pick out.

Here's a guide for those wishing to give it a go...

The Trapezium, Theta Orionis

Did the same myself last night. Found the 'E' star eventually but i was a bit unsure if i managed to spot the 'F' star, didn't know if my eye was playing tricks. As you say it is right next to the bright 'C' star. Will try again soon.

Gra.

In the attached link provided by EntropyStar, it states that "....This image was taken with a 5 inch telescope in visible light....".

Now, I'm a little confused because i have a 10" dob, use a 25mm or 10mm plossle eyepiece but don't get a fraction of the colouring that the image shows which is supposedly 'visible light'.

Why is this?

thanks

Tb

In the attached link provided by EntropyStar, it states that "....This image was taken with a 5 inch telescope in visible light....".

Now, I'm a little confused because i have a 10" dob, use a 25mm or 10mm plossle eyepiece but don't get a fraction of the colouring that the image shows which is supposedly 'visible light'.

Why is this?

thanks

Tb

I think they're meaning the image is formed from the visible light spectrum as there's an image beneath in infrared. I'm sure the visible light image is still a long exposure but they've omitted the detail.

Archived