Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar Alignment question

I've just ordered my first scope, a Sky-Watcher Explorer 200P with EQ5 mount.

I'd just like to ask as question regarding polar alignment.

What do you do if you cannot see Polaris from your viewing position, ie it's blocked or you're indoors?

Most of my viewing is going to be done from my (smallish) back garden that faces south east. If I cannot see Polaris from there, would I be ok to just point the scope north and set the latitude to 53 (I'm in the North West, UK).

(I suppose I should really have checked the view from my garden already)

I cannot see Polaris from there, would I be ok to just point the scope north and set the latitude to 53 (I'm in the North West, UK)

Yes. For visual use that will be fine. You should then find yourself mainly using the RA slow-mo control to track an object, and occasionally the Dec one to compensate for any inaccuracy.

You may at some point want to add motors to your EQ-5, and then the more accurate your alignment the less often you will need to compensate with a slo-mo control.

Personally I have a fantastic view of Polaris and a rather compromised view of the South - I'd rather have it your way round.

In the end polar alignment is really nothing to get hung up about if your a visual observer.

Tim

If Polaris is not visible from your garden there are alternatives such as drift aligning using the stars, much has been written about this method in the imaging section, when setting up your scope for digital photography. For general observing an approximation of Polaris with the stand set correctly will generally be good enough :)

I'll echo the other comments - good enough for visual use.

I find that a compass works well, just make sure the front leg of the tripod is lined up with North and your lat is set and you'll be roughly aligned.

there are a couple of options open to you.

1. Knock the house down, to get a clear view

2. Move to a better location, someplace nice and dark and dry with no clouds, Chile is good for this.

3. As said drift align, make sure you mark out where the tripod feet sit so you only have to do it once.

4. Guess if you not doing Astrophotography it doesn't matter to much

I think thats about it so Option 1 & 2 properly won't work just leaves 3 & 4 plus any ideas other's haven't typed yet.

I have your scope's little brother and use it purely for visual observing.

When I started I aligned on Polaris but now just set the altitude to 52 degrees and point the north mark on the mount to north using a compass. To be honest I don't notice a significant difference and find that I need an occasional adjustment to declination to keep objects in view, even at high magnification.

Enjoy your new scope.

Archived