Why does the moon phase vary from what it should look like?

Doccot

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi there, thanks for your quick response. I understand how the moons own shadow is cast over it's own surface relative to the position of the sun. The app I have is live and set to my current location (Derby UK) and displays the exact image I should see. At 22.00hrs last night the app was displaying a north/south lunar shadow, but in fact, the moons shadow was deffinitely north easterly, but this morning at 08.00 it was back to how the app displayed it. Does the shadow move differently over the moons surface over a 10 hour period?

Everything in the sky changes its tilt from our point of view during the night. Think of Orion as a stick man. When he rises his shoulders are east of his feet. When he sets his shoulders are west of his feet.

This is the 'field rotation' which is cancelled by equatorial mounts but present in alt-azimuth ones.

I suppose the app just isn't very accurately written but I can't be sure.

Olly

Welcome to the forum Doccot. :)

Nice to see you are taking an interest in Lunar observing, I wouldn't worry too much about your app - as has already been suggested it wont be 100% accurate to what you can see visually .

I thought you might like this video on You Tube as it goes over some of the basics of Lunar observing including the phases (about 3mins in).

Stellarium is great but if you would like a closer look at the Moon try this - en:start [Virtual Moon Atlas]

Cheers

• 2 months later...

HI...I'm a newcomer here.....and at the risk of sounding like a nut...complete with tinfoil hat....the moon hasn't look quite right to me for some time now. ... pictures may follow...let me get my feet wet first and feel comfortable here.

HI...I'm a newcomer here.....and at the risk of sounding like a nut...complete with tinfoil hat....the moon hasn't look quite right to me for some time now. ... pictures may follow...let me get my feet wet first and feel comfortable here.

Explain in what way it's not looking "quite right"?

This would have been a great oppertunity to say that the app is designed to show where the moon "should" be and that the actual observed difference is because scientists have found that the moon will crash into the earth.;):D:D

Archived