NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

any tips on 1st time atemot at trying to guide?

my aim tonight is to try and get some sort of guiding going i have just boughyt a qhy5 and a st80 i have manged to get focus today with the qhy5 so im hoping that i might have some success tonight but if any one has any tips would be great

thanks

Danny

The best advise I can give you is take your time, make sure you know how everything goes together (preferably practice putting it together / connecting everything up in the light)

I assume you will be using PHD? Make sure to calibrate before guiding, oh and be patient.

Can you expand on this? Why is important?

my first night with qhy5 was complete waste of time, as I could not see any stars due to noise levels. 2nd night when I found out about dark frame option in PHD gave me excellent results. many stars in my FOV and very low noise levels.

So to take a dark frame simply cap the scope and hit the button? Then that's it?

correct. maybe it is me being not clever enough, but at the begging I have tried to hit the button while exposures were looping. of course this could not work. make sure you take dark frame before exposures starts and every time you change exposure time.

Archived