NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Auto Focuser

Echo Barry's comments - the DC focuser is a fantastic bit of kit, and can be used with the optional USB HitecAstro DC focuser box allowing control from a PC. Even when using just the hand controller it makes focusing a breeze - no wobble at all :icon_scratch:

do you know if the SW auto focuser is compatible with the Dual Speed focuser on the SW 200PDS ?

My understanding is that it isn't compatible without a bit of home-spun modification, as I've looked into it myself. I would like one, but don't really want to bodge it. It's crazy that there isn't one which fits simply and without modification to a standard piece of kit.

I actually bought one to use with my 4.5" reflector, although fitting it to a 1.25" focuser required a bit of DIY, because it is intended primarily for 2" crayfords on larger scopes.

Anyway, in my view, it is one of the best accessory you can buy - it makes visual observation so much easier! It is especially handy when you need to get achieve a very precise focus (planetary or lunar observation, double stars, etc.)

As you do not touch the scope at all in order to focus, you experience no wobble at all, so you can get a pin point sharp focus very easily.

Now I have fitted it to my 300P dobsonian and it is a child play mounting it to the 2" crayford.

To sum up, go for it! It is well worth the money:)

It is too slow (on the fast setting).

It is overpriced for what it is, a simple motor with variable speed control with a plastic case which won't close when the battery is inserted and when you get the battery inserted and the case closed, most likely the wires will be broken as it just doesn't fit.

As for instructions, good luck, may as well ask your local farmer's pig to give installation advice.

Very disappointing, sometimes it wont even move when pressing the move button it is that slow and unresponsive. Even with a new battery installed, I don't think even hooking this up to your SUV will get it to move much.

You are better with a "micro focuser" and not a full drawtube focuser (and not one of FLO's overpriced "British" CNC inventions).

I don't know how FLO can get away with charging so much for such a piece of rubbish.

Very disappointing, I am very embarrassed to have bought this from FLO to be honest. Very let down.

It seems most things labled "astro" are overpriced and under-quality, especially if Skywatcher associated.

I have it so I use it, just so disappointed.

Save your money. Shop elsewhere. Buy a dual speed Crayford or something, just not this piece of rubbish (assuming your OTA is worth the upgrade - if it is not, then consider upgrading your optics first).

If you don't believe me, go ahead, don't take my word for it, send them your money and come back later and give us a great review on it.

If you're talking about one of these:

SWAUTOFOCUSER.jpg

according to the FLO website they will fit Evostar models 90, 102, 120 & 150, Startravel 80, 102, 120 & 150, Skyliner models 150, 200, 250 & 300 and Explorer models 150, 200, 250 & 300, but NOT, as far as I can tell, the ones with these focusers:

dual-speed_focuser_skywatcher_explorer.jpg

which, as I say, seems crazy as these seem to be the standard focusers nowadays.

As far as its speed is concerned, (the post above), I agree, it is indeed very slow, even on its fast setting, but I frankly do not see any way around this problem. As it attaches directly to the focusing roller and it is not therefore geared in any way, it needs to be slow. If it were moving faster, you would probably overshoot your focus sweetspot all the time, and that is presumably something you do not want to do.

I will admit that there is one drawback to this - there is no clutch mechanism that would detach the motor so that you could move the focuser manually. You have to do it on the motor all the time. You can move it manually when you apply a bit of force, but then you rotate the gears and the motor in the focuser as well and I do not think that does it any good. The instructions are indeed insufficient, but it is such a straight forward process that if you are a skilled person, fitting it will not take you more than 15 minutes, without reading the instructions. The build quality is adequate and I had no problems fitting a battery to it.

I will however maintain that, for the money, it is a great piece of accessory that will make your observations way more comfortable and effective. It is by far the cheapest motor focuser you can buy and you can be at least sure that it fits without having to do DIY. I thought of making one myself, and as I have weighed all the pros and cons, it turned out that it would cost the same as the SW one (provided you do not use scrap, used or suspiciously cheap material) and is not, in my view, worth the palaver. Bear in mind that my opinion is no agitation towards any supplier, I'm from Czech Republic so my opinion is only an unbiased evaluation of the product itself.

With other manufacturers, they may charge even five times as much for a similar device or even offer you a focuser with a built-in motor, and that is even more. Granted, those more expensive might work more smoothly or be more sophisticated, but they all are build on one idea - not touching the scope while focusing.

It bugs me when I read comments like "I've attached the electronic focuser and now can't manually focus the image"... Thats what this device is designed to do, eliminate the need to touch the scope and induce the wobble that incurs. The gearing inside the unit could do with being a tad faster, with maybe a more logarithmic control at the slow end, maybe the MKII version will take this into account. - Other than that I have no complaints

• 7 months later...

They are good little bits of kit. not perfect, but OK.

The many different ways of adapting them to fit onto kit is legion. This is my take on fitting one to a C11 with a Crawmachines focuser:

th_IMG_20120520_164322.jpg

th_IMG_20120520_142038.jpg

Stick a Hitec USB controller, or one from Dion @ Astronomyshed onto it and you can then control the focus remotely.

Archived