Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice needed on Evostar 120mm Scope!

Hi all,

I have almost made up my mind :( to buy the SkyWatcher Evostar 120 scope, and just wondered if there were any others here who own or have owned one? and what their thought were on it? It will be for viewing not imaging if that helps. Many thanks!

CW

It's a nice achromat refractor that shows some false colour on bright objects but it's not too objectionable and is good for viewing the planets, the moon and binary stars. It will show deep sky objects quite nicely too although the 4.7" aperture limits it in this department compared to similarly priced newtonians.

The Evostar 120 needs a more steady mount than the EQ3-2 with the aluminum tripod that it often comes with as standard, in my opinion. An EQ5 on the steel tubed legs is more stable with this scope at higher magnifications.

I use mine (on an EQ5) for Solar photography. It is good for Lunar and planetary, as stated above. The false colour is not a problem except with very bright objects (The only time it has been a problem for me was when observing Venus) or you could get a suitable filter (-violet filter). It is quite robustly built which means you really need the EQ5 or above to take the weight (Its not that heavy!). The focusser is a rack and pinion which works quite well if you dismantle it and re-grease it (- a dual speed is available if you want to spend money, but I don't think is really worth the expense if you are starting out) as the "Chinese" grease used is, shall we say, a little sticky!

Thanks for all of your replies, this gives me a few more things to think about. When I contacted FLO, they seemed confident that an EQ3 (alu tripod) was ok for visual use with this scope, so it's interesting that the consensus here is to go for EQ5; part of the reason for wanting EQ3 is that it makes the scope more portable for taking to dark sky sites. Hmmm...:o

Thanks again for your help guys :(

The EQ3 will work with this scope it's just that most folk will always advise you to "over mount" your scpe to make things somewhat futureproof. The EQ5 is certainly portable but is stronger, more rugged and, most importantly, more stable than the EQ3. The steel tube tripod supplied with the EQ5 is much sturdier than the ali tripod that comes with the EQ3. It is a little more awkward to carry (it is bigger rather than being much heavier) but that is easily outweighed by the added stability.

It is only about an extra £40 to come with the EQ5 - about £400 and overall for transporting it would not make much difference with either mount - both are bulky. The steel tripod would make a difference as others have said. Perhaps FLO could get you one, but Harrisons have some left.

SkyWatcher Evostar 120mm EQ5 Refractor Telescope

andrew

The EQ3-2 head is up to the job but it's the aluminum tripod legs that let the side down a bit. They are prone to twist and the Evostar 120 is a long tube so tiny movements at the end of the tube are magnified in the eyepiece if they are not dampened by the mount. I replaced the aluminum tripod with a steel EQ5 one (they are compatible with the EQ3-2's) and that made a lot of difference.

Originally the 150mm F/8 refractors were supplied on an EQ5 with an aluminum tripod which was a scary combination !.

Archived