Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What webcam (and where from)?

Grunthos

Have just finished my second attempt at converting a MS Lifecam Cinema HD webcam for telescope use.

Failed miserably as webcam will not work (again!). Feeling somewhat frustrated.:p Despite utmost care I suspect I've been too "brutal" and damaged the camera around step 7 (getting those darn screws out!).

Anyway, I give up! :o

Now looking to source a reasonable webcam along the lines of the Philips SPC900 (which are difficult to source).

An alternative that had been suggested on SGL was the SPC880. Morgans no longer have them in stock but some appear to be available here.

I suppose I could buy an unflashed 880 from here and convert myself as per this SGL thread. (Has the benefit of using the adapter I bought from Billets). Just wondered if there are any further alternatives.

Is the SPC880 still the best low cost webcam going or are there any others that are recommmended?

It's either that or I buy a Neximage....:(

It is virtualy the same camera which can be flashed to a 900. Actually you do not need to flash the camera at all for Planetary imaging as you can get a driver mod that allows it to work exactly like the 900. You will need to do the physical LX mod for long exposures though.

BTW It is out of stock on your link!

That's just a link through to Morgans who are out for stock for the forseable future :(

The only place I know have them in stock is Telescope House, and they sell the whole kit (nosepiece, filter, camera) for a few quid more than Morgans usually do.

The Philips is certainly easier to mod for scope use than the MS LifeCam. I managed to do mine but it was pretty difficult, especially getting those screws out as you say. Took quite a while to do and quite frustrating.

The LX mod is not too difficult but a bit tricky with the USB hub. Magnifier needed unless you have exceptional eyesight.

The Philips is certainly easier to mod for scope use than the MS LifeCam. I managed to do mine but it was pretty difficult, especially getting those screws out as you say. Took quite a while to do and quite frustrating.

I seem to have managed to make a complete hash of both attempts.

Think Conan the Barbarian trying to modify a finely tuned swiss watch with a hammer and chisel. :(

Oh dear! :( I agree that you need to be able to do fine work to do any LX type mods. And even just to modify it to fit it to a scope with the LifeCam. At least with the Philips, to just attach it to your scope you only need to take the cover and lens off and screw the adapter into the webcam. Best to put it in a box but not essential.

Watch this You Tube video on
(by Astronomy Shed)

If I swung that way I would so kiss you right now finally finding more information about webcams this is an amazing vid didn't know about the adapter for it as well and makes it easy as the lifecam is very easily accesable around here. Big probably probably would be the adapter as I am in the US. Nope, good thing they ship international...looks like I will definitly be giving this a go in the future.

Archived