NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M33, 1st attempt

Zaphod360

Hi all,

This is my first DSO pic, I took all the subs in December but have only just finished playing around with it after reading 'Making Every Photon Count'.

I know it needs a lot more data and I need a coma corrector but is there any other tips anyone can offer?

m33psproc.jpg

SW200p EQ5 unguided. EOS 1000D unmodified. 10 x 90s subs with darks subtracted.

m33psproc.th.jpg

It is good and so a loud Well Done is called for.

Carole's question perhaps arises from the sudden cut-off from background to galactic halo which is too dramatic to be natural. Flats would make this kind of thing much easier to avoid.

Once properly flattened I think you'd be able to get more out of the spiral arms which show a good level of detail for the time.

Olly

Thats a great shot if you take flats darks and bias offsets as well and subtract them in deep sky stacker it will be much better. Taking darks is just putting the scope lid on and taking 30 shots same as you where doing. Taking flats is not hard I just put a t shirt over the scope and with a pole arrange an led torch to be in front of the telescope and take another 30 like the darks but with the t shirt on and for the bia offset shots just rack up the shutter speed as fast as it will go and wap off 30 more shots. Subtract that lot from you subs and you should see a big improvement. Great effort!

Cor, that's brilliant for a first DSO!

I'd just echo, take flats, and you might as well do the bias as well as that one is pretty easy and only needs to be done once -- and after you've stacked the bias frames for the first time, if you are using Deep Sky Stacker you should find a master bias file in the same folder as the bias frames that you can use in future instead of re-stacking all the individual bias frames every time. I think some people re-take the bias every now and again.

Flats I do find to be a pain but I take them every single time. They help to cope with dirt and dust as well. Solutions include using a white laptop screen, using a white t-shirt in the morning or with a torch, or FLO stock some very nice looking panels:

First Light Optics - Gerd Neumann Aurora Flat-Field Panels

after reading 'Making Every Photon Count'

A very good read indeed! I wouldn't worry initially about a coma corrector.

Flats as so many have pointed to above are phenomenal at an image like yours. I think you should try and get some now and hava a play.

Sure in theory nothing at all must be moved between the flats and the lights, but I'd still do them to see how you can get the illumination a bit more even. the odd dust bunny - which you seem to have none of - can be edited away easily.

Thanks for sharing!

Archived