NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laser Collimators!

Does anyone have any experience of the Baader Laser Collimatoe Mk 3 ? I had a cheap one but the end with the battery in just fell off!

The Baader looks a good strong instrument although it costs a bit extra I looks the business, is it?

I had one for a short time but but sold it as i didn't trust it. The shape makes it very difficult to check if the unit itself is collimated. I now use one of these..Antares Laser Collimator. New & Improved Version | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics Its fully adjustable if it goes out of collimation and would recommend it.

Hotech SCA is very solid too. Comes with or without cross hairs. Lasers seems only to make it quick and convenient to find/check a collimation that has been defined in some other fashion like with a Cheshire or a star collimation...

My Hotech is very dusty...

I am presuming its a high precision instrument, aligned when its produced?

I wouldn't trust a laser collimator that I hadn't calibrated myself to be honest - that would exclude the Baader as to the best of my knowledge it is effectively a sealed unit.

I have found that lasers are great for the secondary and getting close with the primary, but you need a cheshire to get it THERE.

I got a good laser, not a really expensive one, but found it wasnt enough. The difference between a laser and a laser+cheshire is marked.

Bart

I had the previous model Baader laser colli it was meant to be factory collimated but when I checked it it was out. Try as I might I could not adjust it to get it spot on so it got sold and I bought a Hotech. It is perfect and the best thing about it is the angled laser target so you can adjust the primary and see the laser moving on the target at the same time saves needing five foot long arms for collimating a 1200mm scope.

Archived