BST Explorer EP's actual sizes

Hi

I want to get a few and keep them in a foam lined case. Does anyone know if the different focal lengths change the actual size of the eyepiece? (i.e is the 5mm one a shorter lump of EP than the 24mm?)

( i want them all lined up neatly in the case - sad i know but that's my OCD for you) :(

Hi Chris,

There's Noting wrong with keeping your EP's in a case. Thats where mine are kept 24/7 these days with the weather we have had lately lol...

Congrats on reaching the 100+ post too...

Interestingly the 5mm is the longest, where as the basic Skywatcher ones i have the 10mm is much smaller than the 25mm.

:(

It's the same with many eyepiece designs that use an additional lens set in the eyepiece barrel to attain the desired focal length. I assume that the spacing between these extra lenses and the ones in the main body of the eyepiece needs to get longer to produce a shorter focal length.

Simple eyepiece designs like kellners, modified achromats, plossls and orthoscopics don't use these additional lenses.

You should still be able to get them in a case. Here's my 3 in my case with spaces left for the 5, 15 and 25mm.

4d42dc98.jpg

The 5mm is the largest in size being slightly larger than the 12. My eyepieces are in a maplin small flight case.

Archived