Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flocking the secondary mirror

Now that I,m a bit happier with collimating (kiss of death!:)) I'm now starting to think about flocking the upper parts of my new 250PX flextube.

Have ordered flocking material for opposite focuser tube.

Plan on painting the inside of the focuser tube with blackboard paint.

I plan on removing the secondary mirror during these operations (probably for the best;)).

Anyway, if the secondary mirror is out I thought I might as well flock that as well.

Do I paint the edge, the back or both (and the stem)? Is this blackboard paint I see mentioned here and there really OK?

I coloured the edge and back of mine with a matt black permanent marker. The stem was already black. I already had the ota flocked with Protostar Flockboard. Can't say i have noticed any difference with the secondary edges blackened though. The biggest advantage is to flock opposite the focuser and just above the primary. I flocked the entire ota as aesthetically it looks better but probably overkill at the end of the day.

I painted my secondary and flocked the whole tube. It's just as easy.

Well worth doing as although it only improves contrast a little, and this is hard to actually quantify, every bit squeezed out is better and you know you are getting the best from your scope.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/167875-new-me-orion-optics-sx150-f6-newtonian-planned-mods.html

im now well and truly flocked! i used the above mentioned Protostar Flockboard

and thou a little aprehensive i found it to be wonderful stuff and so easy to fit,

recommend running over it with the vaccum first,and buying a new stanley blade,

also used hole punches after marking holes with ballpoint.

Archived