Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Chopped down a tree today

JonF

And if a little diesel should somehow find its way into one of the holes, the process will be accelerated.......

White spirit / lighter fluid / petrol

My granddad used to swear that such a method was the best route towards destroying a stump stuck in the ground.

Of course you have to take care and be prepared to control / put out any fire you start as well as taking care you dont set yourself alight with whatever accelerant you use.

Also make the drilled hole as deep as possible to get as much of the root as possible.

If there are any pipes or cables though, I'd recommend the good old tried and tested but exceedingly tiring dig the evil thing out method. takes a good few hours if its a big root but worth it to avoid damaging any pipes/cables you may have to pay to have replaced/fixed afterwards.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
while we're on the topic of removing tress, anyone care to advise the best method to remove stumps ? I intend to remove 12 of them in the weeks ahead, weather permitting, I was considering a good stump killer unless anyone has any other tips?

Depending on how big the stump is and how far the roots of spread you can remove it with standard garden tools.

Use a fork to loosen the soil around the stump and remove it using a small hand shovel. The use branch trimmers to cut the roots.

It's a long process but we got like 4-5 done in 1 day when I was helping a friend.

Be careful though... a stump is decievingly heavy.

Good luck in what ever method you choose. :)

Only on this forum could people discuss blatant vanadalism and stupid / selfish talk of poisening other people trees. Get over yourselves guys, the world does not revolve around you. How completely irresponcible and unfair.

Next door has a lovely lawn, shall I spray it with weedkiller because it makes mine look bad ?

The mods on here are a joke, people are banned for jokes, yet threads like this are smirked at, you lot give the hobby a very bad name !

trees absolutely hate have in hole`s drilled in them, especially if its near the base,if the tree was to be drilled with a 10mm drill bit,about 4/5 times near the base and a least drilled in to a depth of 4 inches the tree would soon die

cordless power drills are a god send

is it any wonder society is the way it is when we have selfish people like this poster.

To delibrately destroy a NEIHBOURS tree is ilegal, dangerous and plain wrong. You would face a very severe penalty if caught.

Archived