Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Chameleon Cloud Complex - IC 2631, Be 144, Ced 110/1, HH 49/50, GN11.07.3, PGC32994

Boren

Hi guys,

Another of the Namibia shots, taken last June - Powernewt 2.8-8 CF + SBIG 8300M and Astrodon Gen II filters.

This area of the Chameleon Cloud Complex lies under Carina, in northern Chameleon, and covers roughly just under 2 degrees of sky. The region lies close to the mutually shared corner with Carina, Musca and Chameleon. The scene, named "GN 11.06.0" features the bright reflection nebula IC 2631 (on the left hand -north - side of the image) and the nearby dark nebulosity Be 144. IC 2631 lies at 11 09 52.79 -76 36 51.5, and is about 5 arcmin across.

The bright blue reflection nebula on the right is Ced 111 and the bright ivory color one just to the right of the middle is Ced 110. The orange triangular nebula on the right is the (seen spectrum from the) Chamaeleon Infrared Nebula, GN11.07.3. If you look carefully, you can see two lightly reddish blobs nearly halfway between Ced 110 and Ced 111 - these are the Herbig Haro objects HH 49 and HH 50.

At the very top of the image, well above Ced 111, the mag. 17 galaxy PGC32994 can be seen too.

I've posted two different resolutions of the image on my site:

1024 pixels wide: http://www.pbase.com/boren/image/140555243/original

1500 pixels wide: http://www.pbase.com/boren/image/140609208/original

I hope you like it, and any comments are very welcome, as always.

Cheers,

Harel :)

post-20443-133877712295_thumb.jpg

There's a ridculous amount of detail and colour in here for a total of only 130mins of data - I find it incredible what these scopes can capture in such little time with such small exposures. An amazing image Boren...

There's a ridculous amount of detail and colour in here for a total of only 130mins of data - I find it incredible what these scopes can capture in such little time with such small exposures. An amazing image Boren...

Thanks Andy,

Yes, that waq the very reason why we came up with the Powernewt in the fist place - to enable qulity and fun imaging with very short exposures and total integration time. I can tell you that since i started up that path, there's no turning back to a slow scope anymore...

Cheers,

Harel :(

It doesn't get better than this! A great example of what a dark site, high performance kit and processing skills can do.

The dust in this looks really three dimensional, outstanding job.

Amazing image, love these dusty starfields. Where did you visit in Namibia? Hakos or Tivoli, Im of to Tivoli this July, cant wait to see these southern skies..

Thanks!

We visited Tivoli, and will be back there this August :(

Cheers,

Harel

Archived