Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using the 2" adapter for the Baader Zoom

Dan Watts

I saw a comment that wasn't answered on another post by user 'JM1311' that I've pasted below...I too have been pondering the same thing...could anybody throw some suggestions on the matter :) I really can't decide on what size uhc and OIII to get.

What would be the benefits of fitting the 2" nose piece over the 1.25" one? Would the benefits warrant the extra cost of the associated bigger filters etc?

Thank u for your time ;)

Dan.

I think it depends on how you use your Hyperion zoom on a regular basis.

When I use it on my PST clearly it has to be on the 1.25" fitting. However, I sometimes use the zoom on my Skywatcher 150PDS and also have available my 20mm and 26mm Nagler both 2" EPs. It is therefore convenient to use my 2" UHC filter.

There will not be any difference in the view between the 1.25" and 2" filters so its down to convenience IMHO.

Mark

I thought the Hyperion zoom was a 2" eyepiece with the better aFOV and light gathering that seems to provide. I may have second thoughts about buying one. I have only recently had a 2" focuser scope and had very little chance to compare things due to the weather.

Thanks for the suggestion :) A very interesting read. Seems the zoom can be converted from a 1.25" zoom to a full 2" zoom with a 2" adapter kit. Must check how much that costs.

Also, I see you can use it with a DSLR to provide variable magnification - now that's very interesting. Hopefully, it's still parfocal, if so, it would be a great way of zooming in to a target. ie. find it with a low FL and then zoom in. This feature would add a lot of extra value and make it a much better value for money. I've not seen any mention of doing this on the forums here - I wonder if anyone has tried it and how well it works as compared with the DSLR sensor at prime focus or with Barlows.

Gina I think the 2" adapter comes with the zoom at no additional charge.

You can also buy photo-adapter M43/T-2 which allows the T mount to attach to an appropriate DSLR camera. I attach my Canon 50D to my PST scope and it works very well.

This is a very good zoom EP and I never regretted buying one even though I have Ethos and Nagler EPs.

As you said start with a wide field EP (the 24mm bit of the zoom is narrow) and then zoom in. The FOV at 8mm and 12mm is very nice.

Mark

Found this, thought it might help.

Zoom_MKIII_Parts_Med.jpg

I am still almost certain that you can't change this into a native 2" EP. Yes you can use an adaptor (and the one for sale is for those zoom EPs that didn't come with it originally) to make it a 2" FITMENT, but not a native 2" EP.

I stand to be corrected though :)

I am still almost certain that you can't change this into a native 2" EP. Yes you can use an adaptor (and the one for sale is for those zoom EPs that didn't come with it originally) to make it a 2" FITMENT, but not a native 2" EP.

I stand to be corrected though ;)

I'm certain you are right - there would be no need anyway as the fields of view that the zoom delivers can comfortably be accommodated within the 1.25" format. Mind you an 8mm - 24mm zoom with a 70 degree field of view throughout and sharp across the FoV with fast scopes would be a lovely thing - imagine a zoom Pentax XW :)

Thanks for your replies ;) Must say that zoom does look pretty good :(

I got the info about converting to a 2" zoom from the PDF file from the Baader web site...

2“ Upgrade Kit (Order-No.: 2454824C) for Hyperion-

Clickstop-Zoom-Eyepiece, consisting of Adapter-Ring M45

/ 2“ thread and our 2“ eyepiece barrel.

With this kit, every Baader 1 1⁄4“ Hyperion Clickstop-Zoom

Eyepiece can be upgraded into a 2“ Zoom eyepiece

Maybe something got lost in the translation :)

I got the info about converting to a 2" zoom from the PDF file from the Baader web site...Maybe something got lost in the translation :)

To achieve an upgrade to a 2" zoom eyepiece, in the fullest sense of the word, some or maybe many the lens elements of the eyepiece would need to be replaced, at the least the ones in the lower barrel assembly. I can't see that being commercially viable without a high price increase.

I can convert my 4mm ortho eyepiece into a 2" one by putting it in a 1.25" - 2" adaptor - it's still a 1.25" eyepiece though ;)

There is mention of removing the lower lens assembly but it spoils the focal length values. I'll stick with just using the adapter. From the PDF file it seems all the Baader Hyperion eyepieces are really 1.25" with a 2" adapter. I'm getting the impression that it's only the longer focal lengths that benefit from a 2" neck.

There is mention of removing the lower lens assembly but it spoils the focal length values. I'll stick with just using the adapter. From the PDF file it seems all the Baader Hyperion eyepieces are really 1.25" with a 2" adapter. I'm getting the impression that it's only the longer focal lengths that benefit from a 2" neck.

The non zoom Hyperions are "funny" :)

They are actually 2" long focal length EPs (around 22mm IIRC) BUT the 1.25" adaptor actually contains a barlow lens (please note the zoom does not.)

As such you get a longer focal length 2" with the designed shorter focal length 1.25" EP in one ;)

Hi Gina, as said by the previous clever buggers, all the Hyperions are basically a 1.25 ep which allows you to use them in a 2" focuser whilst removing the bottom lens. But all you get are a set of ep's with around a 20mm focal length in 2" mode regardless of the focal length stamped on the side of the Hyperion. The only 2" ep's Baader do are the Aspherics 36mm and 31mm, these have no lenses near to the bottom of the ep, so you can use these in 1.25 or 2" and they give you 32 and 31mm focal lengths in both 1.25 and 2". Hope that helps regards Paul.

Archived