Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter with alignment errors ?

Ringrocket

Hi everybody. I've been away a while, but during christmas holiday finally was active again. Recorded some Jupiters as well as part of the Orion nebula (with my Maksutof and DBK to see what would show up).

However, I get strange artefacts using registax 6. Has anybody seen those too and know how to get rid of them ? It seems R5 did not produce these:

post-24724-133877711848_thumb.jpg

I think one of the big changes from registax 5 to 6 was the linked wavelets feature which can throw up results like that. The link below is the guide I've been using and seems to be the perfect set up for planetary imaging.

http://www.sunspot51.com/Registax6/Registax6.htm

Hope that helps! Looks like a cracking image in the making though!

Cheers,

Will

If your 'artifacts' are photographs that end up looking like triangles in a collage, with no real concern about blank spaces, I have had them too, and have not found a way of getting rid of them, so have reverted to R5.

@Will, that looks like an interesting link, which I will try following. Thanks for posting

Thanks everyone !

I didn't use the linked wavelets with this image. It's the triangular artefacts indeed. I've seen them some time ago in a picture of the moon and couldn't get rid of them so reverted back to R5. I was hoping this problem had a solution by now. But I'll stick to R5 then which works fine :p

Nice shot of Jupiter. I've got a 150mm Mak and its good to see the difference in image quality with DBK against the Neximager I'm using at the moment.

Might go for a DBK instead of a larger aperture.....thanks for potentilly saving me a grand :p

Jarvo

Thanks everybody !

Yes, I've tried more alignment points but this was the result.

On a Dutch forum someone adviced me to use fewer alignment points and they should be within 2 thirds from the center of the planet and not closer to the edge of the planet in Registax 6.

Don't have time to try for a while but will later....

BTW here's the avi for people who'd like to have a go at the processing. (It's not yet debayered so debayer should be on in R6)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47595678/video0029%2011-12-26%2023-24-44.avi

Oh, and there might be a dust bunny as well :)

Sorry to hear about your R6 crashing. I have an old slow computer which I really need to be patient with when processing a large file or else it will crash too.

I have the 150 Mak on an ADM mount with second hand DK3 motors. I first got the motors extremely cheap and therefore bought the mount:

Celestron AS Advanced Mount CG5 - German Equatorial Mount

Nachführung mit Steuerung - Standardanschlüsse - 2achsig

I think the download has been disabled (too much traffic ;) )

I used to get this a lot with R6 but very rarely now. It is still quite easy to do a CG alignment in R6 in any case.

My current default settings below :) I tend to use around 1500 frames at present, so that may affect the outcome as well ??

post-16237-133877713655_thumb.jpg

Hello Clayton,

Thanks for your tips ! I don't have time now but will try to process again soon and see if I can make it better.

Thanks Stuart,

I find it also alway's very interesting what other people do with the same recordings ! The turbulence near the GRS in your image looks different from my own processing.

Jeffrey

Archived