Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSO help!

Hi,

I am very fascinated with DSO's but struggle to find them and want to view in more detail. I have picked up that to see what I want to see (dust clouds,details) I should buy a filter. What filter would be best. Also what book should I buy if I need help finding DSO's as Stellarium isnt much help.

Thanks,

Midge

The book I use the most is The Monthly Sky Guide.

For each month it highlights a prominent constellation, in each monthly constellation it identifies the Messier objects in it, as well as some of the NGC objects.

Not sure if it covers every Messoer but that vast majority.

The combination of monthly constellation and DSO's in it sounds about right.

Hi Midge,

You have a 10" Dob similar to mine. I think you need to be aware of what is practical to view through a scope. If you expect to get visually what some people take photos of, then you may be disappointed.

Even with a large scope you still need to know what you are looking for and most galaxies need dark-ish skies to be able to spot them. Once you've got the knack the next ones become much easier.

In terms of deep sky objects, a good place to start is the Messier list. Some Messiers are very easy to spot and some much harder. I still remember the thrill I got when I spotted my first galaxies (other than Andromeda which is relatively easy.

I start with a 32mm eyepiece to get myself in the right area and centre the fuzzy blobs (which are the galaxies). You can then use higher mag eyepieces to get more detail (but don't expect too much).

I have personal favourites in the Messier list such as M5 & M3 but they are clusters rather than galaxies.

There is a whole sky full of treasures out there. Enjoy!

Simon :p

in a 250p... I think I'd go for the 2" UHC filter...screw it into the eyepiece holder...then you can swap between eyepieces without keep moving the filter

if you have an i-phone...theres an app for that...finding planets..stars..DSO's

For learning where all the dso's are you can either get a book like Turn Left at Orion, or subscribe to Sky at Night Magazine (or Astronomy Now) which both have a center pull out telling you what's up, where it is, and how to view it. After one year you'll know where everything is lol :p

Archived