NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Truss vs Solid DOB

Wondering if a truss 200mm dob would be better than a 200mm solid tube as far as LP and dew are concerned. I am in NC, USA and we usually are around 70% humidity in the winter and 98% in the spring and summers so dew is probably a battle here...Wondering if the truss system will give me any other benifits over the solid tube. I am seeing the truss is slightly lighter but I am a strong lad so weight isn't an issue considering they are both 8" anyway.

Probably the only difference is the main mirror...the truss is a skywatcher 200 dob and the solid tube is Orion. They are both pretty much the same price so just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the matter.

The Skywatcher Flextubes do weigh a little more than the solid tube versions. If you keep your eyepieces a little warmer than the outside temp then it should reduce dewing / fogging issues with them.

Edit: Beat me to it John :p

So basically I am looking at storage capacity with the different DOBs...the truss will be a bit smaller for storage but everything else has it's own way of minimizing dew on the mirrors...good stuff guys thanks for all the input will be talking to the significant other to decide which one to get :p

I've got a 10" truss that weighs less than 10kg and have never, ever had a problem with dew on it. Perhaps it's because there's nothing in the way of the primary reaching equilibrium? I'm not sure, but never caused me any problems, and I observe underwater in Cumbria.

Archived