Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An LRGB M81

Neil I

Hope you like my first attempt an LRGB M81 with the H9. Wow, processing these files has been a bit of a nightmare as I just can't seem to get the colour balance correct (amongst other things), and it's also quite a step up from the relatively easy processing that I've been used to with the DSLR. I've only used the H9 a few times in the month or so but I'm really impressed with what it can do and can't wait for the next clear night :p. So here it is, 2hr of L and 45mins per channel of binned RGB. No calibration files yet as I'm having some issues with the flats. I'm sure there's more to get out of this image so any advise/comments will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Neil

post-14123-133877710442_thumb.jpg

Hi Neil,

Good pic. I think you'll be happy going from dslr to ccd. The cooling makes a big difference in noise levels.

If you're using Photoshop, use the histogram to see if the colours are balanced. The left peak of the individual channels should be level. The mid point where the peak drops flat should also be in the same place. Use levels and curves to align them, if they are not the same. If you're using Pixinsight, you'll need to do the Background neutralisation and colour calibration to get it correct. See Harrys page for videos on that.

Tom

Tom.

Very good for a first go on this! What sub length did you use for the binned frames? Ive found that its usually good to use a sub length half that of the L frames (not 1/4) as binning only increases the sensitivity by a factor of 2(ish). Though you will need to test it as cameras will differ to some degree.

M81 should have some nice red blobs in there, and the spiral arms should have a blue(ish) tinge, also youve picked up a little bit of green. Hastalavista green should sort that out in a flash - its a free PS plugin you can download (search for it on google).

Zzzzap... begone green!

post-18171-133877710517_thumb.jpg

Archived