Finger Print on Mirror

The Baader fluid is not suitable for mirrors.

It won't be affecting your views but if you feel you have to clean the mirror the distilled water method will work OK. Personally, unless there are other reasons to clean the mirror, I'd leave it for now.

How long have you owned the telescope, and was it new when you bought it. Are you sure it's a fingerprint, is it recognisable as such?

Anyway, as such it will not affect your scopes performance, so you can Ignore it until such time as your mirror gets grubby enough to warrant cleaning. That could be a while if you keep it stored carefully. Cleaning a mirror is not a difficult job, and there are plenty of tutorials on here on how best to do it.

Remember this though, a dirty mirror, will perform better than a one that has been badly cleaned.:D

Ron.

Baader fluid is designed for use on glass lenses and will adversely affect the coatings and performance of mirrors if used on them. Very careful distilled water cleaning of mirrors is best. :D

A fingerprint on the edge of the mirror won't affect performance as mentioned above.

Just to differ from others I would suggest removing it if it is a finger print.

It will not effect the performance of the mirror but a finger print means slight amount of amino acids from the hand and it is this that has the potential to cause damage.

Dirt and dust will sit there and not do a lot but the acids from a finger print will eventually cause a problem. It is this greater potential that would make me clean it off.

A fingerprint in a mirror is important aestetically for your eyes when you look from aperture. However will be absent when look through the eyepiece... :D

A thorough washing with water and detergent... I am doing it in the shower several times per year (but I cleaned a lot of mirrors before). Cleaning a mirror is very easy but need to follow some rules.

Do nothing but when you decide to clean the mirror ask in SGL before do it to get the best advice.

A real shower at home (note that the cell:

25725Washing_Mirror_LB16.jpg

Very careful distilled water cleaning of mirrors is best. :D

this seems to be hard to get hold of,can not find any ,any where its all this cheapo de-ionised stuff and when a tried a bit on the mrs makeup mirror,a rather expensive one it left white marks ,the distilled stuff is a hard thing to find

I have used a rinse of tap water to remove any particles, then a rinse with "rubbing alcohol". Any stubborn dirt can be wiped away with a nose tissue soaked in the alcohol using a very light pressure on the mirror, followed by another alcohol rinse. The alcohol will evaporate in a couple minuets, leaving a completely clean mirror surface. I have used this method for the past 25 years and my newt mirror is still in new condition.

Any stains (prints) or mold/mildew should be removes as soon as possible to prevent the thin protective coating on "first surface" mirrors from being damaged/removed - causing quick oxidation of the reflective coating.

Archived